From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for October
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 09:04:30
1 Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
2
4 > Hash: SHA1
5 >
6 > Chris Gianelloni wrote:
7 >> On Mon, 2007-10-01 at 21:54 +0000, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
8 >>> 1. Due to the tardiness in the election process, there was no council
9 >>> meeting in September. Will this council have 11 meetings or will its
10 >>> term end in September of next year?
11 >>
12 >> There's no need for us to be so strict. I see no reason why the new
13 >> Council can't have their full year. In fact, I'm so confident in it
14 >> being all fair to give them a full year that I propose we just accept it
15 >> and not bother discussing it further. ;] The previous 2 Councils had
16 >> their 12 meetings, why shouldn't this one?
17 >>
18 >>> 2. Regardless of the decision about the above, we should define a clear
19 >>> schedule for the council's election to ensure that the previous issue
20 >>> doesn't happen anymore. Given that we have a 1 month election period for
21 >>> the council, preceded by a 15 day(?) nomination period, that means that
22 >>> the election process must start before the last meeting of the existing
23 >>> council. So, if the election were to be held during August, the
24 >>> nomination should start on July 15th. I propose the election officials
25 >>> be chosen at the same date - so as not to delay the process.
26 >>
27 >> Let's assume that the new Council will preside from October through
28 >> September. This would have elections done by September 30th, and
29 >> nominations starting on August 1st, as we usually do 1 month for
30 >> nominations and one month for voting.
33 > I agree with you on both points.
34 ++
35 > However, the council still needs to "approve" it as it is a "change of
36 > policy" and so that no one has any doubts / objections later.
37 > I still insist that the election officials should be selected as soon as
38 > the nomination period starts to avoid any delays on the voting - we
39 > should never again enter an election without having election officials.
40 >
41 Agreed, as it leaves Gentoo without a Council for a month, and you could end
42 up with no consistency at all viz date of elections. Stating that the
43 officials must be selected before the nomination process can be started,
44 and that the same deadline applies (one month of nominations, one of
45 voting) seems like good planning. Might as well get the whole process
46 sorted with one vote and move on.
47
48 I also concur with whoever said Council meeting notifications should be
49 discussed on project (maybe a reply-to project for the notification if it
50 needs to go to dev to ensure everyone sees it) since the discussion is
51 rarely about technical stuff, despite that being most of the work which the
52 Council does. Even for technical matters, the discussions i have seen at
53 least on dev about Council decisions, have always been contentious and
54 veered off into non-technical aspects (which is probably why they're on the
55 Council agenda in the first place.)
59 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list