From: Niels Dettenbach <nd@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Anti-spam changes: proposal to drop spammy mail
Date: Tue, 12 May 2015 12:56:27
1 Am Dienstag, 12. Mai 2015, 06:26:41 schrieb Rich Freeman:
2 > I find email an incredibly frustrating experience all-around. It
3 > works great as long as everybody doesn't use anybody for hosting who
4 > isn't in the top-10 provider list, and doesn't use a mailing list.
5 This is NOT true!
6
7 Our mail systems (we are under "top 10.000" to "100.000" i assume) have a top
8 (and sometimes better) "reputation" and there is NO mail from our customers
9 (except for real (!) abusive mail, if not blocked by us before) which is NOT
10 reaching any working mail ISP on this globe and vice versa and our customers
11 have a very good anti spam satisfaction as requested from us typically. The
12 did not want to waste lifetime for handling spam or requesting recievers for
13 "is my mail arrived yet" or similiar stuff - but do pay for such a service.
14
15 And there still ARE many others out who work at the same quality level, even
16 on other customer fields, but there still ARE peoples offering mail service
17 without knowing what they doing - independent from their cheap or expensive
18 pricings. And there are some even "no-cost" providers out able to do that too
19 (usually financing by service extensions or ads) - but usually larger then.
20
21 The ONLY requirement is a mail provider who does his job at an professional
22 level . means: he has an admin who knows what he is doing and has the time to
23 do that regularly. I remember many MS Exchange installations acting as MX /
24 SMTP / MTA for a hand full of users - just setting up an Mailserver is easy,
25 but running a reliable mail service is more then setup and let it run...
26
27 Email - as a major application "part" of the "internet" - is a complex
28 ecosystem today and it takes ressources as such - like i.e. in full table BGP
29 where it is usually a bad idea to run a full table BGP router with typical
30 higher availability requirements byself without an competent person available
31 24/7/365 for it (but there are manies doing this until today too and wonder if
32 it results in bad customer satisfaction...).
33
34 But the time where "i set up a public internet mail server today" from zero is
35 over - and i'm not very frustrated about this, because WE as the mail
36 providers had to fiddle with the crap and misconfigs of others plus their
37 resulting abusive traffic.
38
39 just my two cents,
42 Niels.