From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Anti-spam changes: proposal to drop spammy mail
Date: Tue, 12 May 2015 10:26:54
1 On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 1:19 AM, Eray Aslan <eras@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > The correct solution is to stop forwarding spam and the easiest way is
4 > just stopping forwarding. There are valid policy reasons for not going
5 > that route but continuing forwarding because it is too difficult to
6 > configure gmail is, well, not something I'd be comfortable with. I do
7 > expect more from gentoo devs.
8
9 Configuring gmail to use POP isn't hard per-se, but it has a lot of limitations.
10
11 First, there is latency - they basically poll when they want to poll.
12 I find myself hitting refresh all the time as a result so that I don't
13 wait an hour to get my mail.
14
15 Another issue is that they won't use TLS/SSL unless they trust the
16 certificate, and there is no way to override this. So, your options
17 are credentials possibly going out in plaintext, pay for a
18 certificate, or use a cert provider who won't revoke a certificate
19 even after pointing to private keys posted on github. I suspect this
20 won't be a problem for retrieving mail from Gentoo, but it is one of
21 the reasons that I was desperately trying to forward mail to them. In
22 the end I ended up switching to polling as a result of DKIM and
23 GMail's spam filters.
24
25 I find email an incredibly frustrating experience all-around. It
26 works great as long as everybody doesn't use anybody for hosting who
27 isn't in the top-10 provider list, and doesn't use a mailing list.
28 Otherwise you get snared in the network of anti-spam tactics that only
29 spammers have the time to figure out how to avoid.
32 Rich