From: Eray Aslan <eras@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Anti-spam changes: proposal to drop spammy mail
Date: Tue, 12 May 2015 05:18:00
1 On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 04:47:31PM -0400, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > On 05/11/2015 04:08 PM, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
3 > > By drop, I will clarify that they should ideally be rejected at SMTP
4 > > time, not silently dropped.
5 >
6 > I believe those logs show a rejection after the message has been
7 > accepted initially (if I'm wrong, you can ignore the rest of this).
8
9 The analysis is correct. Pre-queue filtering will help as we can safely
10 -meaning without causing backscatter- lower the threshold we reject spam
11 at. There will still be some spam making its way to gmail but perhaps
12 it will be low enough to stay under gmail's radar.
13
14 The correct solution is to stop forwarding spam and the easiest way is
15 just stopping forwarding. There are valid policy reasons for not going
16 that route but continuing forwarding because it is too difficult to
17 configure gmail is, well, not something I'd be comfortable with. I do
18 expect more from gentoo devs.
19
20 In this case (in most cases?), infra should not be looking for consensus
21 but rather do what is right.
22
23 Anyway, I believe infra has all the info it needs at this point and I am
24 fine with whatever decision they make.
27 Eray