From: Maurice van der Pot <griffon26@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changelogs
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 17:03:08
1 On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 10:05:49PM -0400, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > Recent discussion on this ML and on the portage-ml as well as
3 > #gentoo-portage regarding pkg_warn() and the basic concept behind it.
4 > We talked about adding new functionality, about adding a warning section
5 > to the ebuild or to the metadata. However. all of these tend to have
6 > problems.
7
8 > The dev won't write the extra function,
9 In your proposal this would be "the dev won't write the extra changelog
10 content" and ...
11
12 > duplication of data in pkg_{post/pre}inst,
13 ... "duplication of data in Changelog/pkg_post".
16 > mangling of metadata.xml.
17 I don't know what this means, but I don't think pkg_warn has this
18 problem.
19
20 So I don't see any advantage of putting it in the changelog. I actually
21 like the pkg_warn idea much better.
22
23 So tell me again, what does your proposal solve of the problems you see
24 with pkg_warn?
25
26 Regards,
27 Maurice.