From: Alec Joseph Warner <warnera6@×××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changelogs
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 18:28:00
1 Maurice van der Pot wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 10:05:49PM -0400, Alec Warner wrote:
3 >
4 >>Recent discussion on this ML and on the portage-ml as well as
5 >>#gentoo-portage regarding pkg_warn() and the basic concept behind it.
6 >>We talked about adding new functionality, about adding a warning section
7 >>to the ebuild or to the metadata. However. all of these tend to have
8 >>problems.
11 >>The dev won't write the extra function,
12 >
13 > In your proposal this would be "the dev won't write the extra changelog
14 > content" and ...
17 >>duplication of data in pkg_{post/pre}inst,
18 >
19 > ... "duplication of data in Changelog/pkg_post".
23 >>mangling of metadata.xml.
24 >
25 > I don't know what this means, but I don't think pkg_warn has this
26 > problem.
27 >
28 > So I don't see any advantage of putting it in the changelog. I actually
29 > like the pkg_warn idea much better.
30 >
31 > So tell me again, what does your proposal solve of the problems you see
32 > with pkg_warn?
33 -l support for reading changelogs is already in portage, pkg_warn
34 support would only be in CVS which won't be out for a long time(*), and
35 pkg_warn() doesn't fit in with the rest of the ebuild functions. This
36 solution is done now, in the changelog, to be viewed by users. Metadata
37 ideas were not liked because metadata is not versioned and the parsing
38 would not be easy.
39
40 * Long time being whenever, not starting a flamewar about it.
41
42 > Regards,
43 > Maurice.
46 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list