From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>, Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>, gentoo-dev@l.g.o, udev-bugs@g.o, systemd <systemd@g.o>, base-system <base-system@g.o>, cardoe@g.o, agk@××××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Dropping static libs support from cryptsetup and lvm2
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2013 02:22:42
1 On 01/08/13 04:03, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 07:42:26PM +0000, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
3 >> As both a member of base-system, and the lvm2 maintainer, I'm going to
4 >> go and look at fixing them, because I'd prefer to keep them available as
5 >> static builds.
6 >
7 > Robin,
8 >
9 > I'm curious what the use case for keeping them as static builds is? I
10 > would rather see that support dropped as well.
11 >
12 > Udev and kmod upstream do not support static builds so I want
13 > to drop that support from our ebuilds.
14
15 I started fixing that in kmod and got something else more pressing to
16 do, today I'll spend the whole day trying to get that in shape.
17
18 Help welcome obviously.
19
20 As said before using correct C namespacing isn't rocket science.
21
22 (obviously when you start seeing unchecked mallocs and reallocs in
23 library code you might shiver a bit... but that can be fixed later as well)
24
25 lu