From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] extending existing EAPI semantics
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 11:15:40
1 On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 06:51:46AM +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 07:46:39 +0200
3 > Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o> wrote:
4 > > Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
5 > > > On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 22:33:41 -0700
6 > > > Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com> wrote:
7 > > >> Lay out how .006/.6 would work properly *per* eapi. As I clarified
8 > > >> in my last email, the master would vary dependant on the eapi-
9 > > >> which isn't valid unless you're retroactively overriding the
10 > > >> versioning rules of an eapi.
11 > > >
12 > > > "Must be a superset" being wrong does not mean "entirely arbitrary
13 > > > changes are OK" is right.
14 > >
15 > > You have actual usecases (eventually not thin air), which is your
16 > > counterproposal that works for them?
17 >
18 > Care to rephrase that in English? I'm not proposing anything, so I'm at
19 > a loss as to what you're going on about here.
20
21 Being that you can't understand the problem you're commenting on, I'll
22 explain it for you.
23
24 While you can remove _p1, or _<random_suffix> you cannot change the
25 ordering of an existing version component. Simple example you should
26 grok, changing of 1_p1 such that it's <1.0 is not valid.
27
28 As I've indicated repeatedly in this thread, and y'all have missed,
29 you cannot change the semantics of the ordering. Sure, you could
30 remove a version component from usage- that said, you cannot change
31 it's ordering.
32
33 Further, you cannot change the ordering of an existing version- if
34 you can't understand why shifting 0.006 to equivalent to 0.6, then
35 frankly, this discussion need not continue.
36
37 Cheers.
38 ~harring