From: Rigo Ketelings <rigo@××××.nl>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Just some Feedback
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 08:46:11
1 On zo, 2002-08-25 at 14:12, Alexander Gretencord wrote:
2 > On Saturday 24 August 2002 23:00, Jan Schubert wrote:
3 >
4 > > And the most important thing: Why is there no vi(m) included in the
5 > > base-system? For many advanced users this is the only usable editor, i
6 > > had some problems using nano...
7
8 Problems is a big word, but yes I like vi too :-)
11 > Well search the mailing list archives, we've had that discussion but don't ask
12 > me why they don't include vi after that. (not vim of course it really is
13 > quite big) but the "original vi" would suffice for an installation. Space is
14 > no argument then and after all gentoo is aimed at power users which should
15 > all be familiar with vi as it is the one editor you'll get in every *nix
16 > (just not gentoo :( ). First thing I do after having emerge at hand is
17 > emerging vi(m) so I can really do some file editing. Yes nano _is_ a hassle
18
19 a hassle is again a big word 4 me...I would just prefer to ask very
20 nice:
21
22 *making his thrustworthy look* please, pretty PLEASE ;-D ?
23
24 > to use if you're used to vi. Sure it can be done and the directions at the
25 > bottom are clearly better for ppl not used to unix ... *stop* we've had that
26 > discussion :)
27
28 :-D
32 > Alex
33
34 The only thing I can say is 'yes, I emerge vi/nvi as quickly as possible
35 too' ... A hassle to work with Nano ? Nope, nice to see a different
36 editor 4 a change (give 5 minutes of nano, and I remember why I LOVE vi
37 again...Actually - just because of that - I like this nano-part during
38 the install a lot :-D !
41 Just my 2 cents,
42
43 Rigo
47 > --
48 > "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
49 > deserve neither liberty nor safety."
50 > Benjamin Franklin
53 > gentoo-dev mailing list
54 > gentoo-dev@g.o