From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Keyword amd64 -> x86_64
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 18:40:27
1 On 20-02-2008 19:23:26 +0100, Marius Mauch wrote:
2 > On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 12:59:11 -0500
3 > "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > Please excuse my ignorance if this is a naive comment or has been
6 > > brought up before. With all the non amd processors now with 64bit
7 > > support. amd64 as a keyword seems a bit odd and off maybe.
8 > >
9 > > What's the possibility of switching amd64 to x86_64?
10 > >
11 > > Unless the work to do that is greater than the value of the change.
12 >
13 > As the benefit is close to nothing IMO the required work is definitely
14 > greater by several orders of magnitude.
15
16 Well, that depends a bit. We basically introduced x64 a shorthand, and
17 changed some keywords in prefix, of which I just finished the
18 transition. It's basically just setting the new keyword in the
19 profiles, and then gradually changing the keywords, e.g. on a repoman
20 commit. That's sort of how I did it. You don't need any Portage
21 support, IMHO.
22
23 But I think for the current amd64 keyword, it's not worth the hassle to
24 change it. Though, if for instance amd64-fbsd would be introduced, I
25 think this keyword should have something more generic arch instead, like
26 the x64 we use in prefix now.
30 Fabian Groffen
31 Gentoo on a different level
32 --