From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Keyword amd64 -> x86_64
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 15:02:23
1 On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 19:40:23 +0100
2 Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 20-02-2008 19:23:26 +0100, Marius Mauch wrote:
5 > > On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 12:59:11 -0500
6 > > "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o> wrote:
7 > >
8 > > > Please excuse my ignorance if this is a naive comment or has been
9 > > > brought up before. With all the non amd processors now with 64bit
10 > > > support. amd64 as a keyword seems a bit odd and off maybe.
11 > > >
12 > > > What's the possibility of switching amd64 to x86_64?
13 > > >
14 > > > Unless the work to do that is greater than the value of the
15 > > > change.
16 > >
17 > > As the benefit is close to nothing IMO the required work is
18 > > definitely greater by several orders of magnitude.
19 >
20 > Well, that depends a bit. We basically introduced x64 a shorthand,
21 > and changed some keywords in prefix, of which I just finished the
22 > transition. It's basically just setting the new keyword in the
23 > profiles, and then gradually changing the keywords, e.g. on a repoman
24 > commit. That's sort of how I did it. You don't need any Portage
25 > support, IMHO.
26
27 - sorry, but comparing prefix with its limited and (I assume)
28 technically skilled userbase that is used to change to the main tree
29 where people sometimes don't update their system for years is like
30 comparing apples and oranges
31 - you forgot the necessary updates to documentation and renaming of
32 other amd64 related stuff, only changing the keyword would make things
33 worse IMO
34 - what I wanted to say is that any amount of work required to realize
35 this is greater than the benefit
36 - x64 is IMO the worst name for the architecture (originally a MS
37 marketing term later adopted by Sun, looks too similar to x86, name
38 doesn't make any sense really if you compare it to x86)
39
40 Marius
41 --
42 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list