From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Introducing the Proctors - Draft Code of Conduct for Gentoo
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 23:42:57
1 On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 16:05:10 -0700
2 "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 04:09:53PM -0500, Grant Goodyear wrote:
5 > > * Can we find a better name than "the Proctors", please?
6 > > Yes, that's a completely petty point, but it was the first
7 > > one that came to mind.
8 > Suggestions welcome. We were stuck for other suitable names, and it
9 > was my own suggestion for proctors, based on the dictionary
10 > definition: "an official charged with various duties, esp. with the
11 > maintenance of good order." [1]
12
13 "Communication supervisors" seems like a good fit to me. At least
14 better than some random term from a dictionary nobody has ever
15 heard before.
16
17 > > > Any input will have to be received by Thursday, 15 March, 1200GMT
18 > > > in order to be useful; the Council will be voting on it later
19 > > > that day at 2100UTC.
20 > > * I understand the desire to act quickly, so that it appears that
21 > > Gentoo is doing something about this problem. However, I agree
22 > > with those who think that a few days isn't really enough time for
23 > > an adequate discussion. For this sort of policy to be effective,
24 > > devs need to agree with it. The Council can still make temporary
25 > > rules on Thursday while allowing the rest of the process to occur
26 > > more leisurely.
27 > As the council, you have charged us with ensuring a technical
28 > direction for Gentoo. We are working on it, we really are. In the
29 > meantime, we saying that the buck stops here, because right now,
30 > Gentoo is being seriously damaged as a distribution.
31 >
32 > If these rules don't help matters in the short term, please really do
33 > bring another proposal (some hybrid of the Ubuntu CoC even), either
34 > to us, or the council that succeeds us.
35
36 Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see how your reply adresses
37 Grants concern. Why does this have to be rushed so quickly? Just to
38 "fight" the bad PR caused by the distrowatch article?
39 I think it's clear by now that the presented draft has some major flaws
40 (namely the definition of "we" and the scope), so at least another
41 review round would be in order, and the given timeframe ends in just 36
42 hours. If you don't see the concern here then I'm not sure why this has
43 been open for comments in the first place.
44
45 Marius
50 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
51 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.