From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Introducing the Proctors - Draft Code of Conduct for Gentoo
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 23:07:59
1 On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 04:09:53PM -0500, Grant Goodyear wrote:
2 > * Can we find a better name than "the Proctors", please?
3 > Yes, that's a completely petty point, but it was the first
4 > one that came to mind.
5 Suggestions welcome. We were stuck for other suitable names, and it was
6 my own suggestion for proctors, based on the dictionary definition: "an
7 official charged with various duties, esp. with the maintenance of good
8 order." [1]
9
10 I'm going to continue to use the term in my response here, for lack of anything
11 else, but really, suggestions to the name are welcome.
12
13 > * I highly recommend reading http://www.ubuntu.com/community/conduct
14 > and our new doc side-by-side. The former provides strong, positive
15 The Ubuntu guidelines are well-mirrored in the existing etiquette policy:
16 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml?part=3&chap=2
17 Read them side by side (Ubuntu and the existing policy) is a little harder, as
18 the layout is very different, but the core message is the same.
19
20 However the existing policy has not worked. Reasons and theories behind why are
21 rife within Gentoo.
22
23 > > Any input will have to be received by Thursday, 15 March, 1200GMT in
24 > > order to be useful; the Council will be voting on it later that day at
25 > > 2100UTC.
26 > * I understand the desire to act quickly, so that it appears that Gentoo
27 > is doing something about this problem. However, I agree with those who
28 > think that a few days isn't really enough time for an adequate
29 > discussion. For this sort of policy to be effective, devs need to
30 > agree with it. The Council can still make temporary rules on Thursday
31 > while allowing the rest of the process to occur more leisurely.
32 As the council, you have charged us with ensuring a technical direction for
33 Gentoo. We are working on it, we really are. In the meantime, we saying that
34 the buck stops here, because right now, Gentoo is being seriously damaged as a
35 distribution.
36
37 If these rules don't help matters in the short term, please really do bring
38 another proposal (some hybrid of the Ubuntu CoC even), either to us, or the
39 council that succeeds us.
40
41 > * Having a group of folks separate from devrel who would be doing
42 > similar things to what devrel does (when devrel isn't involved in
43 > recruiting) somehow seems a bit silly. I'd much rather we just broaden
44 > that part of Developer Relations to Community Relations.
45 I'd to quote from Christel's mail here:
46 "2. The Proctors is not a new name for Devrel. They would fall under
47 Devrel territory, but as a newly formed group under the leadership and
48 supervision of the Council. A decision as to numbers and electing
49 proctors has not yet been reached -- we are working out these details as
50 we speak. (My suggestion here is to select a group of people from a wide
51 variety of backgrounds within Gentoo, taking care to avoid 'old boys
52 clubs' and cliques)"
53
54 Simply renaming devrel to commrel and handing them the task won't solve
55 anything - there will still be complaints that devrel is being unfair (and is
56 indeed why your Ombuds position exists). As the council, we will require of the
57 Proctors that they are impartial and fair.
58
59 > * Ubuntu requires that their devs sign a copy of their code of conduct.
60 > (I assume an electronic signature suffices?) Would that be a good
61 > idea for us to do something similar? I don't really have a strong
62 > feeling one way or another.
63 How do we enforce this on users (both those that were never developers
64 as well as those that were ex-developers) fairly then?
65 I see equal enforcement as a benefit here.
66
67 [1] http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/proctor
70 Robin Hugh Johnson
71 Gentoo Linux Developer
72 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
73 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85