From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Introducing the Proctors - Draft Code of Conduct for Gentoo
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 00:29:28
1 Robin H. Johnson wrote: [Tue Mar 13 2007, 06:05:10PM CDT]
2 > On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 04:09:53PM -0500, Grant Goodyear wrote:
3 > > * Can we find a better name than "the Proctors", please?
4 > > Yes, that's a completely petty point, but it was the first
5 > > one that came to mind.
6 > Suggestions welcome. We were stuck for other suitable names, and it was
7 > my own suggestion for proctors, based on the dictionary definition: "an
8 > official charged with various duties, esp. with the maintenance of good
9 > order." [1]
10
11 Ubuntu uses "Community Council". I suggested "Community Relations".
12 *Shrug*
13
14 > > * I highly recommend reading http://www.ubuntu.com/community/conduct
15 > > and our new doc side-by-side. The former provides strong, positive
16 > The Ubuntu guidelines are well-mirrored in the existing etiquette
17 > policy:
18 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml?part=3&chap=2
19 > Read them side by side (Ubuntu and the existing policy) is a little
20 > harder, as the layout is very different, but the core message is the
21 > same.
22
23 One may argue with the content of either the old etiquette guide or the
24 Ubuntu Code of Conduct, but I suspect that most would agree that the
25 Ubuntu Code of Conduct is both more encouraging and better written.
26 I think it's also much more encouraging and better written than is
27 the proposed doc, as well.
28
29 > However the existing policy has not worked. Reasons and theories
30 > behind why are rife within Gentoo.
31
32 You're arguing that a much more punitive doc is required because the
33 previous doc has been ineffective? That's a reasonable argument, but I
34 don't think I agree. The previous doc had no "moral weight", so to
35 speak, because it was imposed on devs without any real discussion, and
36 that's made it hard to enforce. Moreover, there's long been notable
37 distrust of devrel, which historically made it hard for them to enforce it.
38 My belief is that "developer buy-in" would make all of the difference in
39 how effective a code of conduct would be.
40
41 > > * I understand the desire to act quickly, so that it appears that Gentoo
42 > > is doing something about this problem. However, I agree with those who
43 > > think that a few days isn't really enough time for an adequate
44 > > discussion. For this sort of policy to be effective, devs need to
45 > > agree with it. The Council can still make temporary rules on Thursday
46 > > while allowing the rest of the process to occur more leisurely.
47 > As the council, you have charged us with ensuring a technical
48 > direction for Gentoo. We are working on it, we really are. In the
49 > meantime, we saying that the buck stops here, because right now,
50 > Gentoo is being seriously damaged as a distribution.
51
52 I didn't mean to suggest that the buck didn't stop w/ the Council, or
53 that the Council wasn't admirably working to set a direction for Gentoo.
54 My apologies for appearing to imply either of those things. I simply
55 think you folks are rushing things more than is really necessary.
56 Take a look at yesterday's threads started by Mr. Long. He was
57 stirring up trouble, and he was not terribly successful because,
58 after a bit of latency, people refused to play along. That's a
59 positive change that I suspect occurred at least in part _because_
60 the Council is leading here. I think the Council is already making
61 a difference, and that there's time to come up with something beautiful
62 instead of just functional.
63
64 > > * Having a group of folks separate from devrel who would be doing
65 > > similar things to what devrel does (when devrel isn't involved in
66 > > recruiting) somehow seems a bit silly. I'd much rather we just broaden
67 > > that part of Developer Relations to Community Relations.
68 > I'd to quote from Christel's mail here:
69 > "2. The Proctors is not a new name for Devrel. They would fall under
70 > Devrel territory, but as a newly formed group under the leadership and
71 > supervision of the Council. A decision as to numbers and electing
72 > proctors has not yet been reached -- we are working out these details as
73 > we speak.
74
75 *Grin* I actually did read Christel's e-mail. I disagree with that
76 part.
77
78 > (My suggestion here is to select a group of people from a wide
79 > variety of backgrounds within Gentoo, taking care to avoid 'old boys
80 > clubs' and cliques)"
81 >
82 > Simply renaming devrel to commrel and handing them the task won't
83 > solve anything - there will still be complaints that devrel is being
84 > unfair (and is indeed why your Ombuds position exists). As the
85 > council, we will require of the Proctors that they are impartial and
86 > fair.
87
88 Here's my problem with it: essentially what you're arguing for the
89 proctors to be is the same as what devrel should be (at least for the
90 part of devrel that is supposed to be looking after community
91 standards). If you're creating a new group because of distrust of
92 devrel, then it makes more sense to either fix devrel (assuming it needs
93 fixing), or disband that part, or put your trust in devrel's current
94 incarnation. (My personal view is that we've had a nearly complete
95 turnover in devrel multiple times since the last set of significant
96 problems, so people should give them a chance, but I realize it's not my
97 call to make.) In any event, the fact that devrel/proctor/whatever
98 decisions can be appealed to the council actually does makes claims of
99 bias less tenable.
100
101 > > * Ubuntu requires that their devs sign a copy of their code of conduct.
102 > > (I assume an electronic signature suffices?) Would that be a good
103 > > idea for us to do something similar? I don't really have a strong
104 > > feeling one way or another.
105 > How do we enforce this on users (both those that were never developers
106 > as well as those that were ex-developers) fairly then?
107 > I see equal enforcement as a benefit here.
108
109 One might argue that devs should be held to a slightly higher standard
110 than the users. My understanding is that w/ Ubuntu the devs sign the
111 code because they are the standard bearers of the distribution. Their
112 views are going to hold more weight in the community because of that
113 ubuntu.org e-mail address, and by signing the code they provide a good
114 example for the users. The users are expected to play by the same
115 rules, but of course they don't have to sign anything; it's implicit
116 by signing up on a mailing list (or forum, or whatever).
117
118 *Shrug* I don't really have a strong opinion about this last item. I'm
119 just trying to offer things to think about.
120
121 Well, that was far too long. *Sigh* Time for me to let others speak, I
122 think.
123
124 -g2boojum-
125 --
126 Grant Goodyear
127 Gentoo Developer
128 g2boojum@g.o
129 http://www.gentoo.org/~g2boojum
130 GPG Fingerprint: D706 9802 1663 DEF5 81B0 9573 A6DC 7152 E0F6 5B76