From: Sune Kloppenborg Jeppesen <jaervosz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Introducing the Proctors - Draft Code of Conduct for Gentoo
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 07:27:33
1 On Wednesday 14 March 2007 01:25, Grant Goodyear wrote:
2 > Ubuntu uses "Community Council". I suggested "Community Relations".
3 > *Shrug*
4 "Community Relations" sounds fine to me.
5 >
6 > Here's my problem with it: essentially what you're arguing for the
7 > proctors to be is the same as what devrel should be (at least for the
8 > part of devrel that is supposed to be looking after community
9 > standards). If you're creating a new group because of distrust of
10 > devrel, then it makes more sense to either fix devrel (assuming it needs
11 > fixing), or disband that part, or put your trust in devrel's current
12 > incarnation. (My personal view is that we've had a nearly complete
13 > turnover in devrel multiple times since the last set of significant
14 > problems, so people should give them a chance, but I realize it's not my
15 > call to make.) In any event, the fact that devrel/proctor/whatever
16 > decisions can be appealed to the council actually does makes claims of
17 > bias less tenable.
18 Yeah, that was my argument as well.
19
20 I fear new rules are not going to change that. In my eyes the essential thing
21 is that we have strong body (devrel/comrel/protctors) to encourage people to
22 follow policy (wether new or old). Making devs live up to higher standards as
23 a good example would also be encouraging to the process I think.
26 Sune Kloppenborg Jeppesen (Jaervosz)