From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Introducing the Proctors - Draft Code of Conduct for Gentoo
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 14:37:44
1 Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o> posted
2 20070314002523.GC12689@××××××××××××××××××××××××.com, excerpted below, on
3 Tue, 13 Mar 2007 19:25:23 -0500:
4
5 > Robin H. Johnson wrote: [Tue Mar 13 2007, 06:05:10PM CDT]
6 >> On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 04:09:53PM -0500, Grant Goodyear wrote:
7 >> > * Can we find a better name than "the Proctors", please?
8 >>
9 >> Suggestions welcome. We were stuck for other suitable names, and it was
10 >> my own suggestion for proctors, based on the dictionary definition: "an
11 >> official charged with various duties, esp. with the maintenance of good
12 >> order." [1]
13 >
14 > Ubuntu uses "Community Council". I suggested "Community Relations".
15
16 [I'm replying here as this subthread most directly addresses the concerns
17 I too have, but I'll reference other threadlets as well.]
18
19 "Procter" seems the precise dictionary definition of what I believe we
20 are after, but if people aren't familiar with it, as seems to be the
21 case...
22
23 Someone suggested "Communication's Supervisor", which should be simple
24 enough but might be confused with parts of infra. What about "Gentoo
25 Communications Representative" (tho that sounds like userrel/devrel)?
26 Or, getting the authority in there, "Gentoo Council Communications Envoy"?
27
28 >> > * I highly recommend reading http://www.ubuntu.com/community/conduct
29 >> > and our new doc side-by-side. The former provides strong, positive
30 >> The Ubuntu guidelines are well-mirrored in the existing etiquette
31 >> policy:
32 >> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml?
33 part=3&chap=2
34 >
35 > One may argue with the content of either the old etiquette guide or the
36 > Ubuntu Code of Conduct, but I suspect that most would agree that the
37 > Ubuntu Code of Conduct is both more encouraging and better written. I
38 > think it's also much more encouraging and better written than is the
39 > proposed doc, as well.
40
41 I agree. Regardless of the content and tone, which can be argued, the
42 Ubuntu CoC has things in a clear and logical order, making clear the goal
43 before describing the behavior, then describing behavior that matches
44 that goal, then describing certain behavior that does /not/ match the
45 goal and is therefore discouraged. Finally, the authority and who is
46 responsible for enforcing the policy is noted.
47
48 One other point. It's quite clear throughout the Ubuntu doc who is being
49 referred to. One of the big problems with the proposed Gentoo document
50 IMO is that in its current form it uses the term "we" far too often,
51 often even in the first sentence of a section, without noting who "we" is
52 except at the top in broad terms (Gentoo). Only the corporate whole
53 "Gentoo" does not fit the usage of "we" in some instances all that well
54 -- a more natural fit would be the enforcers (whatever they may be
55 called) or perhaps the Council, and thus Gentoo thru it.
56
57 >> However the existing policy has not worked. Reasons and theories behind
58 >> why are rife within Gentoo.
59 >
60 > You're arguing that a much more punitive doc is required because the
61 > previous doc has been ineffective? That's a reasonable argument, but I
62 > don't think I agree. The previous doc had no "moral weight", so to
63 > speak, because it was imposed on devs without any real discussion, and
64 > that's made it hard to enforce.
65
66 I'd argue here a position I haven't yet seen... exactly. IMO, there are/
67 were two problems with the current /developer/ etiquette policy.
68
69 First, it was both in the developer manual and by wording targeted
70 specifically at developers. Non-developer participants in the various
71 communications channels likely will not have seen it, and where it was,
72 it /was/ a bit easy to "forget" about, even for developers that /had/
73 seen it. It wasn't as if it were channel communication policy, posted or
74 linked prominently at the entry or in each location, so it was easy to
75 "forget" (aka "ignore", if it were deliberate, but let's just assume it's
76 not for now).
77
78 If it's more visible to everyone, and is generally accepted as applying
79 to all, perhaps it'll be easier to "remember".
80
81 In line with that observation, a suggestion -- /only/ a suggestion, as
82 I'm sure some won't like it, but I think it needs considered, anyway.
83 Many web forums and IRC channels have a "sticky" guide or at minimum, a
84 link to the rules, visible whenever one enters. That's not so easy on
85 mailing lists or newsgroups. However, newsgroups at least have an
86 accepted solution: a FAQ posted periodically (say biweekly or monthly).
87 Many mailing lists have a subscription/unsubscribe/help reminder sent out
88 periodically, so the idea isn't entirely foreign there either, altho
89 posting of a (behavior) FAQ is a bit less common. I think we seriously
90 need to consider it. We could in fact combine it with a periodic
91 unsubscribe help mailing (which might eliminate a few of the occasional
92 mixed up unsubscribe postings to the list, as well), since Gentoo
93 controls its own mailing lists.
94
95 Second and I think more important, given it has been developers and
96 former devs that have been the major problem, it wasn't the lack of teeth
97 of the former /document/ that was the problem, but rather, a lack of
98 means or will to enforce it, directly and in a timely manner as applied
99 to the communications channels (this mailing list in particular, in this
100 case). Largely by deliberate design, the devrel discipline process is
101 bureaucratic in nature and requires time, both to ideally enable a
102 cooling off and avoid further dealing with the issue in the first place,
103 and to ensure full due process. While the degree of that can be argued,
104 I think most here will agree that to /some/ degree it's a /good/ thing --
105 after all, we /are/ talking about possible termination of a dev, when it
106 comes to devrel.
107
108 I believe the problem was that the by design slow process of dev
109 discipline simply is not suited to resolution of the fast developing
110 issues on the mailing lists (and the same may apply to other channels as
111 well). Yet we (Gentoo) were trying to make it work, and we are where we
112 are as a result.
113
114 Thus, I don't believe a draconian document is called for. It's not the
115 content at fault, but the location and the enforcement "impedance
116 mismatch". Correct those, and the problem will be /much/ easier to
117 correct as well.
118
119 >> > [I agree] that a few days isn't really enough time for an adequate
120 >> > discussion. For this sort of policy to be effective, devs need to
121 >> > agree with it. The Council can still make temporary rules on
122 >> > Thursday while allowing the rest of the process to occur more
123 >> > leisurely.
124
125 >> As the council[, we are] saying that the buck stops here, because
126 >> right now, Gentoo is being seriously damaged as a distribution.
127 >
128 > I simply
129 > think you folks are rushing things more than is really necessary. Take a
130 > look at yesterday's threads started by Mr. Long. He was stirring up
131 > trouble, and he was not terribly successful because, after a bit of
132 > latency, people refused to play along. That's a positive change that I
133 > suspect occurred at least in part _because_ the Council is leading here.
134 > I think the Council is already making a difference, and that there's
135 > time to come up with something beautiful instead of just functional.
136
137 I don't think it's the council yet. I think it's still the "shell shock"
138 speaking. Nobody who went thru that wants to see anything like it again,
139 certainly not now, so everyone's being especially cautious on the one
140 hand, and on the other, like many air passengers today, we simply aren't
141 going to play along any longer with potential hijackings, and they no
142 longer tend to work.
143
144 I think the council's worry is two-fold. First, Gentoo must be seen to
145 have taken some action to stem the damage, or we'll lose even more
146 credibility (and likely attract more trolls out for some fun...
147 unfortunately). Second, that post event watchfulness may not last
148 forever, and the council wants something in place before it's gone.
149
150 Those are both very reasonable, but I too agree with you and others, the
151 current draft just doesn't cut it as a long term document and if we try
152 and force it to, we're likely to be dealing with some other crisis as a
153 result some time down the road.
154
155 What I think may be the best that can be done under the circumstances is
156 to adopt this document (as can be best modified in the next xx hours) as
157 a say 40-day policy, auto-sunset, thus guaranteeing we aren't stuck with
158 it beyond that term. That then gives us the rest of the month to hash
159 out a better document, hopefully to be adopted at the next regular
160 council meeting, and a few days further to implement it in an orderly
161 fashion before the temp policy expires. If the permanent policy isn't
162 ready by that time, the council can then extend the temp policy another
163 30 days, and there should be little reason found to extend it yet again,
164 as the permanent policy should have been hashed out by that point, or /
165 possibly/ after a bit of time, they/we might see a different, better
166 approach, and not need either a further extension of the temp policy or
167 implementation of a direct replacement.
168
169 >> > * Having a group of folks separate from devrel who would be doing
170 >> > similar things to what devrel does (when devrel isn't involved in
171 >> > recruiting) somehow seems a bit silly. I'd much rather we just
172 >> > broaden that part of Developer Relations to Community Relations.
173 >> I'd to quote from Christel's mail here: "2. The Proctors is not a new
174 >> name for Devrel. They would fall under Devrel territory, but as a newly
175 >> formed group under the leadership and supervision of the Council. A
176 >> decision as to numbers and electing proctors has not yet been reached
177 >> -- we are working out these details as we speak.
178 >
179 > *Grin* I actually did read Christel's e-mail. I disagree with that
180 > part.
181
182 If my argument above is assumed to be correct, then it should be obvious
183 that devrel in its current form isn't right for the task. First, it's
184 /dev/rel, and we are talking a communication channels policy applying to
185 all users, including but not limited to devs. Second, there's the timing
186 thing. Now, it might be possible to give them the power to act in
187 appropriately short time here, while continuing the full due process
188 procedure for questions of dev discipline (as opposed to comm channel
189 discipline), but there's no reason it /has/ to be them, given the timing
190 difference. Additionally, we /are/ talking a policy applying to users as
191 well, and I believe the idea of a wider community representation is sound
192 in that regard. By the same token, I honestly can't say whether devs
193 will find it acceptable for a group with a significant non-dev component
194 to be doing the devrel task, so it's really two widely different tasks,
195 and I think it works best as two different groups.
196
197 By the same token, however, I don't see a problem if most or all of
198 devrel end up as proctors. However, I believe the groups should be
199 independent, and likely, that "comrep" should be accountable directly to
200 the council.
201
202 >> (My suggestion here is to select a group of people from a wide variety
203 >> of backgrounds within Gentoo, taking care to avoid 'old boys clubs' and
204 >> cliques)"
205 >>
206 >> Simply renaming devrel to commrel and handing them the task won't solve
207 >> anything - there will still be complaints that devrel is being unfair
208 >> (and is indeed why your Ombuds position exists). As the council, we
209 >> will require of the Proctors that they are impartial and fair.
210 >
211 > Here's my problem with it: essentially what you're arguing for the
212 > proctors to be is the same as what devrel should be (at least for the
213 > part of devrel that is supposed to be looking after community
214 > standards).
215
216 To me it's two different groups, two different tasks. The one deals with
217 developer relations, in the worst case leading to developer termination.
218 That /should/ be a task that takes a bit of time, with additional due
219 process protections built-in. The other deals with community
220 communications channels, in the worst case leading to permanent
221 termination of voice in one or more of those channels. While that has a
222 direct significance for the dev's ability to properly do his work as a
223 dev, user implications are much more muted.
224
225 Additionally, I see a STRONG benefit in the ability of the "comrep" group
226 to order a 3-day or 1 week cooling off period WITHOUT it directly
227 interfering with devrel status. In fact, one could claim that part of
228 the paralysis in the current situation had to do with the fact that
229 getting devrel involved was a BIG step, something folks often hesitated
230 to do until too late. If the two processes were independent of each
231 other, a short term cooling off period of a few days would be MUCH more
232 likely to be imposed if arguably necessary but not debateably borderline,
233 as it wouldn't be such a drastic step in all those OTHER ways. As such,
234 weaker consequences earlier are likely to be imposed, hopefully avoiding
235 the necessity of even /debating/ stronger consequences later, as /well/
236 as applying the brakes before anything like the debacle we recently
237 witnessed happens again.
238
239 >> > * Ubuntu requires that their devs sign a copy of their code of
240 >> > conduct.
241
242 >> How do we enforce this on users (both those that were never developers
243 >> as well as those that were ex-developers) fairly then? I see equal
244 >> enforcement as a benefit here.
245 >
246 > One might argue that devs should be held to a slightly higher standard
247 > than the users. My understanding is that w/ Ubuntu the devs sign the
248 > code because they are the standard bearers of the distribution. Their
249 > views are going to hold more weight in the community because of that
250 > ubuntu.org e-mail address, and by signing the code they provide a good
251 > example for the users. The users are expected to play by the same
252 > rules, but of course they don't have to sign anything; it's implicit by
253 > signing up on a mailing list (or forum, or whatever).
254 >
255 > *Shrug* I don't really have a strong opinion about this last item. I'm
256 > just trying to offer things to think about.
257
258 I agree, same rules, enforceable on all, but having devs sign (plus
259 putting a question or two on the quiz dealing with such things, not
260 because anyone will answer wrong, but because it'll bring the awareness
261 up) increases their awareness of it in approximate degree to which their
262 visibility as Gentoo representatives is increased.
263
264 The question then may come up, what happens if someone can't or doesn't
265 wish to sign for some reason? My opinion? Again, it's an awareness
266 thing. By indicating they can't sign it, they've indicated that they are
267 aware of it, and if the policy is that as a dev they will be held to it
268 regardless of whether they signed or not, with their devship ultimately
269 hanging in the balance if they disregard it, well, they then know that
270 whether they choose to sign or not. It's a signature of awareness, not
271 of agreement, and choosing not to sign indicates the same thing. The
272 policy gets applied the same whether they sign or not.
273
274 Still, as the others, no strong opinion here, just opinion.
279 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
282 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list