From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Introducing the Proctors - Draft Code of Conduct for Gentoo
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 21:13:36
1 Thanks for the work on the new doc; it's much appreciated.
2
3 Here's some comments, in no particularly good order:
4
5 * Can we find a better name than "the Proctors", please?
6 Yes, that's a completely petty point, but it was the first
7 one that came to mind.
8
9 > As some of you are already aware, I was at the last Council meeting
10 > given a Task. This Task was to draft a proposed Code of Conduct for
11 > Gentoo, and a scheme for enforcing it. The current version of this
12 > proposal can be found at http://dev.gentoo.org/~christel/coc.xml
13 > comments and suggestions both on- and off-list are appreciated.
14
15 * I highly recommend reading http://www.ubuntu.com/community/conduct
16 and our new doc side-by-side. The former provides strong, positive
17 guidelines for members of the community, with penalties for
18 failing to live up to those guidelines kept vague and mostly
19 out-of-sight, while still implying that the rules have teeth.
20 Our doc focuses much more on not doing bad things
21 (instead of on an implicit expectation of doing good things), it
22 actually highlights punishment before bad behavior before good
23 (or "acceptable") behavior, and the tone is rather more tentative.
24 I much prefer Ubuntu's doc. It's not completely relevant to Gentoo,
25 but I'd much rather crib from their text (assuming Ubuntu's
26 permission, since that doc is copyrighted and I don't know what
27 license, if any, they use), making minor changes to better reflect how
28 Gentoo works, than use the proposed doc in its current form.
29
30 > Any input will have to be received by Thursday, 15 March, 1200GMT in
31 > order to be useful; the Council will be voting on it later that day at
32 > 2100UTC.
33
34 * I understand the desire to act quickly, so that it appears that Gentoo
35 is doing something about this problem. However, I agree with those who
36 think that a few days isn't really enough time for an adequate
37 discussion. For this sort of policy to be effective, devs need to
38 agree with it. The Council can still make temporary rules on Thursday
39 while allowing the rest of the process to occur more leisurely.
40
41 * Having a group of folks separate from devrel who would be doing
42 similar things to what devrel does (when devrel isn't involved in
43 recruiting) somehow seems a bit silly. I'd much rather we just broaden
44 that part of Developer Relations to Community Relations.
45
46 * Ubuntu requires that their devs sign a copy of their code of conduct.
47 (I assume an electronic signature suffices?) Would that be a good
48 idea for us to do something similar? I don't really have a strong
49 feeling one way or another.
50
51 Despite how critical I'm being, I really do appreciate the work that
52 has gone into this so far. Thank you very much.
53
54 -g2boojum-
55 --
56 Grant Goodyear
57 Gentoo Developer
58 g2boojum@g.o
59 http://www.gentoo.org/~g2boojum
60 GPG Fingerprint: D706 9802 1663 DEF5 81B0 9573 A6DC 7152 E0F6 5B76