From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: ANN: broken-up kde ebuilds (aka 'emerge kmail')
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 22:42:45
1 Dan Armak posted <200410192203.49686.danarmak@g.o>, excerpted
2 below, on Tue, 19 Oct 2004 22:03:41 +0200:
3
4 >> From earlier, I remember you (?) saying what it DID cache, it
5 >> invalidated entirely if there was just one change. I can see how this
6 >> would be simpler to implement. However, if you are caching everything,
7 >> I'd hope you are doing it in segments
8 >
9 > Caching is a builtin feature of configure scripts generated by autoconf.
10 > configure --help | grep cache will show you. All we do in confcache is
11 > store the cache after every run and give it to the next run.
12
13 Ahh... I'd seen occasional (cached) entries in the various "checking ..."
14 messages. This now makes sense.
15
16 > So we have to invalidate it entirely and we can't segment it. Either
17 > behaviour would require basically replacing/rewriting autoconf. And if
18 > someone did do that, I'd be very happy :-) (Maybe the unsermake people?)
19 > But for now, this is all we can do.
20
21 Aye... that /does/ sound like an unsermake project.
22
23 > That said if the existing bugs are worked out (like not panicking when
24 > /proc/cpuinfo's checksum changes due to cpu clock changes) our confcache
25 > is pretty good too in terms of performance.
26
27 Ugly! Is the cache kept in such a way that for specific things like this,
28 one can go in and excise them using sed and the like? That would seem the
29 best solution if so. Simply make it as if the cpuinfo stuff hadn't been
30 cached, yet, so it'd test for it each time new.
31
32 Or.. perhaps even better, intercept the call for the cpuinfo checksum and
33 return the existing checksum, or the existing data, whichever is easier,
34 so it doesn't see it as changed. Of course there'd have to be a way to
35 manually trigger a real check, say, if the CPU was replaced or whatever.
36
37 In another discussion, on the AMD64 list, we were talking about how
38 ultimately, power management for multiple CPUs might be accomplished by
39 using the developing CPU hotplug code to turn off one CPU at a time until
40 only one was left, then speed throttling the one CPU. (I've seen kernel
41 discussion on using the hotplug code for suspend, tho not specifically
42 for power management not suspend, however, it's a logical extension, if
43 they are already talking about extending it to suspend, to use it for
44 throttling as well, given that existing throttling power management
45 doesn't work at all with multiple CPUs.) If speed throttling throws a
46 wrench in the current system, consider what hotplugging CPUs will do to it
47 as well! <g> Perhaps whatever solution is found for the first can address
48 the second, when the time comes too, if it's planned for in advance.
52 "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
53 temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." --
54 Benjamin Franklin
59 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list