From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: ANN: broken-up kde ebuilds (aka 'emerge kmail')
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 20:02:47
1 On Tuesday 19 October 2004 21:33, Duncan wrote:
2 > Good point re portage tracking. How do you manage the dependencies? Do
3 > you rebuild every time in-builddir, or do you look in the deployed system
4 > first and only build in-builddir if it isn't yet deployed?
5
6 Very little rebuilding takes place. Sometimes we copy built pieces from the
7 live filesystem into the workdir, but in those cases we depend on having been
8 build and installed first.
9
10 The only things that are rebuilt are the ones that have to be: static libs
11 that are never installed. They are very few and this is negligible in terms
12 of performance.
13
14 If you want the details, read the comments in kde-meta.eclass, then grep the
15 ebuilds to get usage statistics of each mode of operation.
16
17 > Is there a
18 > list of an optimal emerge order if the latter?
19 Not needed. Just normal portage deps.
20
21 > From earlier, I remember you (?) saying
22 > what it DID cache, it invalidated entirely if there was just one change. I
23 > can see how this would be simpler to implement. However, if you are
24 > caching everything, I'd hope you are doing it in segments
25
26 Caching is a builtin feature of configure scripts generated by autoconf.
27 configure --help | grep cache will show you. All we do in confcache is store
28 the cache after every run and give it to the next run.
29
30 So we have to invalidate it entirely and we can't segment it. Either behaviour
31 would require basically replacing/rewriting autoconf. And if someone did do
32 that, I'd be very happy :-) (Maybe the unsermake people?) But for now, this
33 is all we can do.
34
35 That said if the existing bugs are worked out (like not panicking
36 when /proc/cpuinfo's checksum changes due to cpu clock changes) our confcache
37 is pretty good too in terms of performance.
40 Dan Armak
41 Gentoo Linux developer (KDE)
42 Matan, Israel
43 Public GPG key: http://dev.gentoo.org/~danarmak/danarmak-gpg-public.key
44 Fingerprint: DD70 DBF9 E3D4 6CB9 2FDD 0069 508D 9143 8D5F 8951