From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: ANN: broken-up kde ebuilds (aka 'emerge kmail')
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 19:34:38
1 Dan Armak posted <200410192040.54826.danarmak@g.o>, excerpted
2 below, on Tue, 19 Oct 2004 20:40:54 +0200:
3
4 > On Tuesday 19 October 2004 20:23, Roman Gaufman wrote:
5 >> err, DO_NOT_COMPILE="kmail" in /etc/make.conf does just that, and
6 >> supports every package or even service KDE has to offer. Feel free to
7 >> not compile ksmserver or kinit as well -- this will break things, but
8 >> the fact is, gentooists always had the possibility to do this!
9 >>
10 >> What exactly do you propose here? -- do you actually propose gentoo
11 >> developers should split the metapackages into close to 100 ebuilds? --
12 >
13 > I'm not proposing anything. I'm announcing the fact that I and another
14 > Gentoo developer (motaboy) have actually split the monolithic ebuilds
15 > into well over 300 new packages.
16
17 Wow!
18
19 >> what gain over DO_NOT_COMPILE does this give?
20 >
21 > It allows portage to manage interdependencies and, in fact, everything
22 > else it manages. Heavy use of DO_NOT_COMPILE, such as emerging only
23 > kmail + its deps from all of kdepim (of course each user has to figure
24 > out for himself what those deps are, first), is more or less equivalent
25 > to linux from scratch. It'd be manual building, except portage will
26 > think it knows what is installed, and will be wrong.
27
28 Interestingly, I just bit the bullet with 3.3.1 and configured all those
29 DO_NOT_COMPILEs for myself. Some packages (kdebase, kdegames) I emerged
30 intact, others (kdeadmin, kdepim) I killed more than half the package.
31 kdepim was the worst to try to handle, as I had to backtrack on a couple
32 items (libical and libkcal) and compile them anyway due to dependency
33 issues. KMail and KNode were the main apps I wanted out of it, plus stuff
34 like the kfile metadata helpers. kdeartwork I just killed the
35 screensavers. A couple packages (kdeedu) I don't install at all anyway.
36
37 I had originally tried to use KDE_REMOVE_DIR from the ebuilds, but found
38 some stuff that didn't need actually compiled but DID need the dirs still
39 there for headers, etc. (kpilot was one of these, altho it wasn't
40 compiled anyway due to use flag.) I went back to DO_NOT_COMPILE.
41
42 Good point re portage tracking. How do you manage the dependencies? Do
43 you rebuild every time in-builddir, or do you look in the deployed system
44 first and only build in-builddir if it isn't yet deployed? Is there a
45 list of an optimal emerge order if the latter?
46
47 I've been thinking about confcache. I haven't tried using it yet, but I'm
48 certainly thinking about it. Does it just do the main stuff, or does it
49 handle the entire configure step? From earlier, I remember you (?) saying
50 what it DID cache, it invalidated entirely if there was just one change. I
51 can see how this would be simpler to implement. However, if you are
52 caching everything, I'd hope you are doing it in segments, so that for
53 instance the normal C compile checks on endianness and bitlength and the
54 like, the "main" checks, are not invalidated when something like qt
55 changes. Perhaps section it into "main system qualities" like endianness
56 and the like that aren't likely to change, "standard bintools"
57 checks,"gcc", "kde/qt", "gtk/gnome", and "misc" (off the top of my head)?
58 That would maintain a grouping, but wouldn't invalidate the entire
59 confcache for one change to the kde dependencies with the 300 kde packages
60 you mention. As I said, however, I haven't yet used it, just been turning
61 the idea over in my head, so...
65 "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
66 temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." --
67 Benjamin Franklin
72 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list