From: Mike Gardiner <obz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Docbook-sgml-utils needs lynx?
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 12:30:45
1 On Wed, 2003-11-26 at 01:51, Patrick Börjesson wrote:
2 > When doing an update world I saw that something wanted to drag in lynx
3 > to my system, so I did an 'etcat -d lynx' to see what could have caused
4 > portage to think that I needed lynx. The result showed me some packages,
5 > but the only one I had installed was docbook-sgml-utils, so I took a
6 > look at the ebuild for it. In the last row of DEPEND I saw "|| (
7 > net-www/lynx net-www/links )" which I take means that either lynx OR
8 > links have to be installed... This is strange in itself as docbook
9 > shouldn't need a browser to be installed, or? Anyway... I already have
10 > links installed so why does docbook-utils want me to install lynx?
11 >
12 > Patrick Börjesson
13
14 Hi Patrick (apologies for the off-list reply),
15
16 Currently, docbook-sgml-utils requires either lynx, or links to output
17 in text format. If you'd like to check this, have a look at the 'txt'
18 backend (in /usr/share/sgml/docbook/utils-0.6.12/backends), near the top
19 you'll see the CONVERT logic. You can also try removing (emerge -C) lynx
20 and links and then converting a docbook sgml file with docbook2txt, and
21 see it error out.
22
23 I did think about this long and hard, whether it was too 'heavy' and
24 dependency, and had a look (in the days when time permitted) at
25 modifying the txt backend to use html2text. According to the TODO in the
26 source archive, this is a planned addition to docbook-sgml-utils, at
27 which time neither console browser will be required for the txt backend
28 (although, of course, could still be used).
29
30 I consider conversion to plain text a fairly standard function, which is
31 broken unless a 'real' backend is provided by lynx or links.
32
33 So I guess in answer to your question 'docbook shouldnt need a browser
34 to be installed?', it actually does need a console browser backend at
35 the moment, although hopefully an html2text backend will be available in
36 the future.
37
38 Hope that clears things up,
39 Mike.