From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] Council constituent meeting 30 July 2013 at 19:00 UTC
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 21:51:35
1 On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 4:20 PM, Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o> wrote:
2 >> - vote for holding meetings every 2nd Tuesday of the month at 2000
3 >> UTC
4 >> (or
5 >> 1900 UTC depending on daylight savings)
6 >
7 > In any timezone in particular?
10 Don't care much, but agree we should pick one.
13 > The open floor is a part of the openness and approachability of the
14 > council. Its 60 seconds well spent, even if nobody says anything.
15
16 The concern that was raised was that when it does get used it is rare
17 for anything to get accomplished. The desire is to have issues raised
18 and debated on the lists first.
19
20 I don't have a big problem with open floor - I just think it is a bit
21 of a waste of time. If somebody wants to raise an issue they need
22 only ask.
23
24 >> - vote on meeting format 2: "shift council votes to mail instead of
25 >> IRC"
26 >
27 > Please keep voting in public. Its good for accountability.
28 > If not in IRC, find a way to publish who voted and now.
29 > Council do not get a secret ballot.
30
31 Agreed. I don't think the intent of that item was ever to REPLACE
32 in-person voting with email. I think the intent was to allow for it
33 so that when a critical issue comes up a week after the agenda is
34 already set that everybody doesn't have to wait 5 weeks for the
35 following council meeting. It seems really odd to have a 100-post
36 flamewar with no immediate action, and then to dredge up the topic a
37 month later and vote, and then have another 100-post flameware to talk
38 about the outcome. I don't think we need off-the-cuff decisions, but
39 if a topic is ripe for a decision we should have a way to actually
40 take care of it.
41
42 Public debate and votes only make sense. Bugs might be a useful way
43 to record this (much as is done with the trustees).
44
45 Rich