From: "Rick \\\"Zero_Chaos\\\" Farina" <zerochaos@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] Council constituent meeting 30 July 2013 at 19:00 UTC
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 22:35:25
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On 07/22/2013 05:51 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
5 > On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 4:20 PM, Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o> wrote:
6 >>> - vote for holding meetings every 2nd Tuesday of the month at 2000
7 >>> UTC
8 >>> (or
9 >>> 1900 UTC depending on daylight savings)
10 >>
11 >> In any timezone in particular?
14 > Don't care much, but agree we should pick one.
17 >> The open floor is a part of the openness and approachability of the
18 >> council. Its 60 seconds well spent, even if nobody says anything.
19 >
20 > The concern that was raised was that when it does get used it is rare
21 > for anything to get accomplished. The desire is to have issues raised
22 > and debated on the lists first.
23 >
24 > I don't have a big problem with open floor - I just think it is a bit
25 > of a waste of time. If somebody wants to raise an issue they need
26 > only ask.
27 >
28 >>> - vote on meeting format 2: "shift council votes to mail instead of
29 >>> IRC"
30 >>
31 >> Please keep voting in public. Its good for accountability.
32 >> If not in IRC, find a way to publish who voted and now.
33 >> Council do not get a secret ballot.
34 >
35 > Agreed. I don't think the intent of that item was ever to REPLACE
36 > in-person voting with email. I think the intent was to allow for it
37 > so that when a critical issue comes up a week after the agenda is
38 > already set that everybody doesn't have to wait 5 weeks for the
39 > following council meeting. It seems really odd to have a 100-post
40
41 The council really doesn't have the ability to just instantly vote on
42 things outside of a meeting. The transparency of the body requires
43 announcements about meetings, and their topics, with a reasonable amount
44 of notice. It simply isn't possible to maintain these things and have
45 the flexibility to instantly vote on things. Emergency action can be
46 taken by many bodies, devrel, userrel, but the council is not expected
47 to be the "quick fix" for things.
48
49 - -Zero
50
51 > flamewar with no immediate action, and then to dredge up the topic a
52 > month later and vote, and then have another 100-post flameware to talk
53 > about the outcome. I don't think we need off-the-cuff decisions, but
54 > if a topic is ripe for a decision we should have a way to actually
55 > take care of it.
56 >
57 > Public debate and votes only make sense. Bugs might be a useful way
58 > to record this (much as is done with the trustees).
59 >
60 > Rich