From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] Council constituent meeting 30 July 2013 at 19:00 UTC
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 23:05:38
1 On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 6:35 PM, Rick "Zero_Chaos" Farina
2 <zerochaos@g.o> wrote:
3 > The council really doesn't have the ability to just instantly vote on
4 > things outside of a meeting. The transparency of the body requires
5 > announcements about meetings, and their topics, with a reasonable amount
6 > of notice. It simply isn't possible to maintain these things and have
7 > the flexibility to instantly vote on things. Emergency action can be
8 > taken by many bodies, devrel, userrel, but the council is not expected
9 > to be the "quick fix" for things.
10
11 I find it interesting that the Trustees, which are a legally regulated
12 body, can take action between meetings, but we feel that the Council,
13 which is not a legally regulated body, cannot. Legally the foundation
14 can even take action without any of the trustees present (it just
15 requires a LOT of members to support it).
16
17 I'm not suggesting that we should just issue rapid decisions in the
18 middle of a flamewar. However, if we feel that all sides of a debate
19 have spoken we can perhaps announce a pending decision on -dev,
20 evaluate any responses, and then vote. Council members who do not
21 feel sufficient time has passed to evaluate the situation can vote to
22 postpone the decision. In order to pass a majority would still be
23 needed, so if 2 people vote aye, 3 vote nay, and 2 vote delay, then we
24 delay until one side or the other obtains a majority (as with any
25 body, the default is basically no action until there is a majority in
26 favor).
27
28 I don't suggest that this should be the ideal method of operation. I
29 just see it as an option. It wasn't even my idea...
30
31 Rich