From: Andrej Kacian <ticho@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Xmms needs to die.
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 15:11:22
1 On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 16:22:06 +0200
2 Robert Cernansky <hslists2@××××××.sk> wrote:
3
4 > Yes, looked at this. It's similar to stadard xmms
5 > posibilites. xmms-pipe have much wider posibilites.
6 >
7 > I use mainly skipping within a track (not to next track) so I can
8 > rewind without touching a mouse and switching to third workspace where
9 > xmms is sitting.
10 >
11 > Another frequently used xmms-pipe functionality is volume control
12 > (with software mixing enabled you can control volume of xmms
13 > independently from Main/PCM volume).
14 >
15 > Useful is also reporting info (e.g. about played track) to output
16 > pipe.
17
18 Hello Robert,
19
20 sounds like you might want to have a look at http://musicpd.org - in
21 portage as media-sound/mpd or media-sound/mpd-svn.
22
23 It does all you mention above (and more), and is nearing a major
24 release (rc3 came out just today, I will be adding an ebuild for it
25 tonight after I'm back from work).
26
27 Kind regards,
28 --