From: Todd Wright <wylie@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-dev] Larry the Cow
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 12:32:43
1 Daniel Robbins Wrote
2
3 > See definition 3. Cows *can* be male because otherwise there's no name
4 > for the kind of animal that the black and white male grass-eating thing
5 > is. :) You can call them a "bull", but what kind of animal are they?
6 > No, they're not "moos", they're cows. Even the males.
7
8 Dont get me wrong. I *like* Gentoo Linux, it is simply the best Linux distribution I have come across, despite a few minor teething problems. (BTW: this is related to Larry, see the conclusion).
9
10 However, like many others who have expressed their thoughts, I too find the support to be lacking. Having fiddled for a few days trying to get php/imap to compile (works now, btw - Thanks Jared) I decided to fix it myself, and started playing with the ebuilds - I even submitted a new -r1 for uw-imap, which is now in the portage tree.
11
12 The one thing I didnt understand was the virtuals. I have found NO documentation on this anywhere, and it appears to have changed with Gentoo 1.0. Having a few old directories around from 1.0_rc6 only made it harder for me to understand, so eventually, having exhaused my options,, I joined the developer list and posted a detailed description of my problems.
13
14 No response.
15
16 A day or two later, I followed up, thinking perhaps I had confused people with all the information I had given, so I limited my post to a single simple quetsion on virtuals.
17
18 No Response
19
20 At that point I gave up, and figured it out myself (and I still dont understand it - I just have a better mis-understanding of virtuals now).
21
22 BUT, cast dispersions on Larry the Cow's sexuality, and the one guy who probably knows the answer to my questions better than anyone, posts 2 or 3 messages in a singe day - none of which include any information on Gentoo Linux.
23
24 Can you see my point?
25
27 / \
28 \_.--._* <--- http://www.dreams.darker.net/~wylie/
29 v Mobile: +61-403-796-001 Ph: +61-2-9521-8677