From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: sping@g.o, trustees@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [rfc] Rendering the official Gentoo logo / Blender 2.04, Python 2.2
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 05:47:01
1 On Fri, 29 Apr 2011 02:29:42 +0200
2 Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Gentoo's official logo originates from a Blender file [1] created by
5 > Daniel Robbis over 8 years ago. He used Blender 2.04 and Python 1.6
6 > at that time.
7 >
8 > When rendering that .blend file with Blender 2.49b (or a more recent
9 > version), Blender does not apply the reflection texture needed [2] to
10 > give the metal look that you know. I don't know why that is. All I
11 > know is that Blender does find the file: it's not about the location.
12 >
13 > [...]
14 >
15 > Among the options I see is the following:
16 >
17 > A) Find out how to render g-metal.blend with recent Blender
18 > (2.57b at best) to give pixel-identical results to Blender 2.04.
19 > Needs an advanced Blender user ideally.
20 >
21 > B) Port Blender 2.26 to a recent version of Python.
22 >
23 > Are there any other options?
24
25 Maybe it's time to make the SVG variant the official logo, and leave
26 the blender file as a historical variant.
29 Best regards,
30 Michał Górny