From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Addressing GLEP-62 itself
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 20:53:24
1 On 09/27/2012 01:30 PM, Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
2 > On 27/09/12 04:13 PM, Zac Medico wrote:
3 >> On 09/27/2012 12:53 PM, Brian Harring wrote:
4 >>> Bullshit. This is optional in the sense of embrace/extend
5 >>> 'optional'; if one PM takes up the new functionality, all have to
6 >>> switch to writing unfinalized deps to the VDB, and all have to
7 >>> switch to transfering that IUSE_RUNTIME crap to the VDB.
8 >
9 >> I think the proposal suddenly becomes a lot saner if it's done as
10 >> an EAPI extension, the optional runtime deps and IUSE_RUNTIME
11 >> conditionals are isolated in a new separate variable (perhaps
12 >> SRDEPEND), and IUSE_RUNTIME is not allowed to intersect with IUSE.
13 >> Using a separate SRDEPEND variable means that the package manager
14 >> only has to preserve USE conditionals in the vdb for that one
15 >> variable.
18 > Saner, perhaps, but that would also mean the feature would be more or
19 > less independent of the current USE handling within the PM.
20
21 Well, the package manager could still treat IUSE_RUNTIME flags as valid
22 flags for things like USE deps in _other_ packages. So, they don't have
23 to be entirely independent. The idea is just to limit the scope where
24 those flags are allowed the package that declares the flags as runtime
25 flags, so that those runtime flags are only allowed in SRDEPEND.
26
27 > Mind you if it's easier to deal with in the PM then I guess
28 > piggy-backing on the current USE implementation isn't an advantage.
29
30 Part of my concern is not just the implementation details, but also
31 being able to explain/document for communication purposes. If it's such
32 a mess that it's difficult to communicate, then it sucks for everyone
33 involved.
34 --
35 Thanks,
36 Zac