From: Alec Warner <warnera6@×××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for January
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 05:39:29
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Kurt Lieber wrote:
5 > On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 07:57:06PM -0800 or thereabouts, Greg KH wrote:
6 >
7 >>>Which is why Gentoo has jumped the shark and is now on a long, slow
8 >>>decline.
9 >>
10 >>Ok, then what should Gentoo do to fix this percieved decline?
13 > Exactly what a lot of folks will have kittens about; appoint a CEO, leader,
14 > boss, manager, etc. (you know, all those corporate-type words that raise
15 > the hackles of nearly everyone on this list.)
16 >
17 > Right now, Gentoo is this gigantic, obese amoeba that just sort of sits in
18 > one place. Different parts of it try to go in different directions, with
19 > the net result being that the whole body never goes anywhere. We haven't
20 > done anything interesting or innovative over the last...year? two years?
21 > We have no effective leadership whatsoever. We spend far too much time
22 > arguing amongst ourselves instead of working as a team towards a common
23 > goal.
24
25 I think some people have attempted things that are interesting or
26 innovative, although they may not have gotten off of the ground quite
27 yet. I think for instance, that Stuart's webapp-config project is a
28 good idea, and while I also think his first attempt sucked, that perhaps
29 in the future it could be a great tool, especially for large virtual
30 host places. I think it sucks that he has gotten the flack from it here.
31
32 The Gentoo Installer is an interesting project, not only for the
33 graphical frontend, but for the Distro-sponsored Network installer that
34 is being worked on. I think many distributions lack tools in this area
35 and we can be interesting and helpful here.
36
37 The Portage project has some cool stuff coming up. I realize that the
38 2.X codebase scares a lot of people away due to it's nature but recently
39 there has been a lot more active development in features and planning.
40 Plus there is code in the savior branch to do some "interesting" things :)
41
42 > <snip>
43 > adhere to the decisions and, if they don't, invite them to find other
44 > opportunities for their creative outlet.
45 This sounds to me like "if they don't like it then send them on their
46 merry way" which is kind of a bad attitude IMHO. If they are working
47 on something it usually is because they are interested. You can't
48 really say "well your interest is useless so work on something else
49 instead" and expect them to comply. If they are either going to work on
50 something they enjoy and contribute to Gentoo or do nothing at
51 all...well I'll take the former :)
54 > That person should figure out what Gentoo wants to be when it grows up.
55 > S/he should carefully consult the various stakeholders, look at the
56 > strengths/weaknesses of Gentoo as it stands currently and then figure out
57 > where the best direction is for it to proceed. They should then be
58 > responsible for making sure everyone (and I mean *everyone*) executes
59 > according to this direction. Folks who disagree with the vision will be
60 > able to go their own direction and start their own projects. That's the
61 > beauty of the GPL.
62
63 If this Gentoo project fails/falters (like you seem to think it is
64 heading) you are free to do the same, form your own project with it's
65 own set of rules and leader if you so choose.
68 > Anyway, I have no illusions of this idea ever being implemented in the
69 > current Gentoo environment. /shrug. It was a good ride.
70 >
71 > --kurt
72
73 I would agree overall that inter-project communication is lacking in
74 many areas. I also think that people are uncompromising. Everyone is
75 over-worked, everyone has no time, if you want thing X done, get
76 cracking...etc... I don't think that is an especially healthy attitude
77 to getting larger/cooler things accomplished. If there is an entity
78 that can help "persuade" projects to listen to one another that would be
79 great, but in the end what can you really do?
80
81 Partially I ( as currently still a user at this point ) would like to
82 see a bit more project management. I see that webapps posted a monthly
83 meeting reminder to -dev, but how many projects really have meetings
84 that often? Do they accomplish anything? Should we have someone that
85 tries to attend most meetings to make sure things are going smoothly, or
86 going at all? Do we need to have slacking projects that get killed off
87 by the council as well as "slacker" council members?
88
89 More things to consider ;)
90
91 Alec Warner (antarus)