From: Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for January
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 04:26:08
1 On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 07:57:06PM -0800 or thereabouts, Greg KH wrote:
2 > > Which is why Gentoo has jumped the shark and is now on a long, slow
3 > > decline.
4 >
5 > Ok, then what should Gentoo do to fix this percieved decline?
6
7 Exactly what a lot of folks will have kittens about; appoint a CEO, leader,
8 boss, manager, etc. (you know, all those corporate-type words that raise
9 the hackles of nearly everyone on this list.)
10
11 Right now, Gentoo is this gigantic, obese amoeba that just sort of sits in
12 one place. Different parts of it try to go in different directions, with
13 the net result being that the whole body never goes anywhere. We haven't
14 done anything interesting or innovative over the last...year? two years?
15 We have no effective leadership whatsoever. We spend far too much time
16 arguing amongst ourselves instead of working as a team towards a common
17 goal.
18
19 We should appoint one person to lead the project. Make sure that person
20 knows WTF they're doing, are respected by the right developers, has a good
21 vision for Gentoo and then let them make decisions. Expect people to
22 adhere to the decisions and, if they don't, invite them to find other
23 opportunities for their creative outlet.
24
25 That person should figure out what Gentoo wants to be when it grows up.
26 S/he should carefully consult the various stakeholders, look at the
27 strengths/weaknesses of Gentoo as it stands currently and then figure out
28 where the best direction is for it to proceed. They should then be
29 responsible for making sure everyone (and I mean *everyone*) executes
30 according to this direction. Folks who disagree with the vision will be
31 able to go their own direction and start their own projects. That's the
32 beauty of the GPL.
33
34 Anyway, I have no illusions of this idea ever being implemented in the
35 current Gentoo environment. /shrug. It was a good ride.
36
37 --kurt