From: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for January
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 02:54:00
1 On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 04:31:30AM +0000, Kurt Lieber wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 07:57:06PM -0800 or thereabouts, Greg KH wrote:
3 > > > Which is why Gentoo has jumped the shark and is now on a long, slow
4 > > > decline.
5 > >
6 > > Ok, then what should Gentoo do to fix this percieved decline?
7 >
8 > Exactly what a lot of folks will have kittens about; appoint a CEO, leader,
9 > boss, manager, etc. (you know, all those corporate-type words that raise
10 > the hackles of nearly everyone on this list.)
11 >
12 > Right now, Gentoo is this gigantic, obese amoeba that just sort of sits in
13 > one place. Different parts of it try to go in different directions, with
14 > the net result being that the whole body never goes anywhere. We haven't
15 > done anything interesting or innovative over the last...year? two years?
16 > We have no effective leadership whatsoever. We spend far too much time
17 > arguing amongst ourselves instead of working as a team towards a common
18 > goal.
19
20 Like others have pointed out, I think the problem is you either are:
21 - not looking in the proper place
22 - have the goals you want to see happen, happen.
23
24 The first one can be handled in a variety of different ways, and is
25 sometimes easily overlooked due to the slow incremental improvements
26 that happen over time. One only has to look back over a longer period
27 of time to see the changes and realize how good they are (as an example,
28 I _love_ the baselayout stuff that has happened over the past year or
29 so, it's flexible and works very well, much nicer than any other rc
30 based system I've seen for a Linux distro. Huge props out to those
31 developers.)
32
33 The second one can be easily handled by getting out there, stating your
34 goals, and working to solve them yourself. Like any opensource project,
35 people work on what they want to work on, and you can't tell anyone what
36 to do, without resistance (well, there are ways to do this, but that's
37 for another time...)
38
39 > We should appoint one person to lead the project. Make sure that person
40 > knows WTF they're doing, are respected by the right developers, has a good
41 > vision for Gentoo and then let them make decisions. Expect people to
42 > adhere to the decisions and, if they don't, invite them to find other
43 > opportunities for their creative outlet.
44
45 Decisions are one thing. Results are another. Decisions are easy to
46 make, but convincing others to do your bidding is tough :)
47
48 > That person should figure out what Gentoo wants to be when it grows up.
49 > S/he should carefully consult the various stakeholders, look at the
50 > strengths/weaknesses of Gentoo as it stands currently and then figure out
51 > where the best direction is for it to proceed. They should then be
52 > responsible for making sure everyone (and I mean *everyone*) executes
53 > according to this direction. Folks who disagree with the vision will be
54 > able to go their own direction and start their own projects. That's the
55 > beauty of the GPL.
56
57 Ok, for example, the "enterprise" stuff for Gentoo? I think the only
58 thing holding that back are getting the work done. All of the
59 infrastructure is there to do it, it will only take a lot of time and
60 effort to achieve it. So, gather the people who want to do it, and go
61 do it, that too is easily achievable due to the beauty of the GPL :)
62
63 But that doesn't require a great "leader" to accomplish. And I think
64 our current mis-mash of director board is actually good for us in that
65 it handles the things we need to have handled (pissing matches between
66 developers, infrastructure things, etc.) and keeps out of everyone
67 else's way :)
68
69 > Anyway, I have no illusions of this idea ever being implemented in the
70 > current Gentoo environment. /shrug. It was a good ride.
71
72 I hear Debian is still looking for developers. Oh wait, they are having
73 worse problems for real than people are perceiving we are having :)
74
75 Thanks for your comments, hopefully some good will come of this thread.
76 If not, I'm sure the developers who are actively working on integrating
77 good things into Gentoo will continue to do so.
78
79 thanks,
80
81 greg k-h