From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: vapier@g.o
Cc: Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Some 'proper coding' notes for ebuilds
Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2003 15:23:49
1 On Sun, 2003-08-03 at 05:04, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Saturday 02 August 2003 22:50, Kumba wrote:
3 > > Isn't the only time we want to avoid this on a kernel ebuild? There was
4 > > an email many weeks ago on -dev I think (mighta been -core) which said
5 > > to avoid using epatch on kernel sources, due to it's brute-force method.
6 > > Also, what about "xpatch"? I had heard of this mechanism used awhile
7 > > ago, but not recently.
8 >
9 > this was meant as a general heads up ... i'm sure the kernel team can handle
10 > the kernel ebuilds just fine themselves ;)
11 >
12 > as for xpatch, i havent utilized it myself and havent looked into it ... right
13 > now 'epatch' is in portage, 'xpatch' is not ... it doesnt really matter too
14 > much since if we upgrade all packages to use epatch, we can easily switch
15 > over to 'xpatch'
18 I do not see why there should be two versions of the same thing. If
19 epatch is broken, fix it ?
24 Martin Schlemmer
25 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop/System Team Developer
26 Cape Town, South Africa