From: Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Should "server" be a global use flag?
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 14:21:02
1 On Tue, 24 May 2011 11:52:51 +0400
2 Peter Volkov <pva@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > В Пнд, 23/05/2011 в 17:19 +0200, Jeroen Roovers пишет:
5 > > I find myself wondering why so much information is being jammed into
6 > > USE flag descriptions that /should/ be available in HOWTOs from
7 > > upstream, or else should be written down in HOWTOs we maintain
8 > > ourselves - we (Gentoo) used to be good at providing HOWTOs as
9 > > needed and it's a good tradition to keep up. It helps the entire
10 > > open source community and not just our users, too.
11 >
12 > I don't see how moving USE flag descriptions from portage tree in
13 > HOWTOs will help community. This will just take more time to check
14 > what USE flag does. Also it's clear that maintaining another 10
15 > guides will just slow things down with no real benefit.
16
17 I never suggested were moving USE flag descriptions into HOWTOs (how?
18 what does that mean?). I said USE flag descriptions were being (ab)used
19 where proper HOWTOs would serve users better.
20
21 And I suggested HOWTOs should be used to introduce users to new
22 software - good upstreams do this, and Gentoo used to do this a lot,
23 which is one of Gentoo's great attractions.
24
25 Explaining how a package works in USE flag descriptions is no
26 replacement for good documentation, and the <flag> tags in
27 metadata.xml weren't introduced to replace documentation.
28
29 > > Anyway, count the YESs above. Maybe some people want to
30 > > comment/explain/defend how they wrote their descriptions, so don't
31 > > touch them just yet. :)
32 >
33 > We can add global 'server' USE flag and still keep local USE flag
34 > descriptions where they make global description a bit more clear. And
35 > if I understood your last message correctly, in case you want to
36 > update USE flag descriptions yourself, please, don't touch USE flag
37 > descriptions but open bugs for maintainers to decide.
38
39 Who me? Please read the entire thread.
40
41 And please don't be so territorial either - just blame the right people
42 when they mess up, instead.
45 jer