From: Peter Volkov <pva@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Should "server" be a global use flag?
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 07:54:47
1 В Пнд, 23/05/2011 в 17:19 +0200, Jeroen Roovers пишет:
2 > I find myself wondering why so much information is being jammed into
3 > USE flag descriptions that /should/ be available in HOWTOs from
4 > upstream, or else should be written down in HOWTOs we maintain
5 > ourselves - we (Gentoo) used to be good at providing HOWTOs as needed
6 > and it's a good tradition to keep up. It helps the entire open source
7 > community and not just our users, too.
8
9 I don't see how moving USE flag descriptions from portage tree in HOWTOs
10 will help community. This will just take more time to check what USE
11 flag does. Also it's clear that maintaining another 10 guides will just
12 slow things down with no real benefit.
13
14 > Anyway, count the YESs above. Maybe some people want to
15 > comment/explain/defend how they wrote their descriptions, so don't
16 > touch them just yet. :)
17
18 We can add global 'server' USE flag and still keep local USE flag
19 descriptions where they make global description a bit more clear. And if
20 I understood your last message correctly, in case you want to update USE
21 flag descriptions yourself, please, don't touch USE flag descriptions
22 but open bugs for maintainers to decide.
25 Peter.