From: "James H. Cloos Jr." <cloos@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Licensing pitfalls with net-www/mozilla-firefox
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 23:06:45
1 >>>>> "Luke" == Luke-Jr <luke7jr@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 Luke> Have the Mozilla people been contacted? They could probably
4 Luke> grant special permission for certain patches or perhaps even a
5 Luke> blanket "ok" that covers most patches the ebuilds might use...
6
7 I read through most of the thread on debian-legal. There they
8 (the mozilla foundation) started out saying they wanted a list
9 of the patches applied and would 'probably be able to approve'
10 them.... Obviously that didn't fly, but I didn't see a final
11 resolution to the problem there.
12
13 The alternative is to call it something else and use gentoo-
14 specific artwork.
15
16 Note that this also applies to the mail client (was it thunderbird?)
17 and the artwork that is part of mozilla.
18
19 One hopes they come to a reasonable compromize that will work for the
20 dists, since I'm sure every dist includes patches.
21
22 -JimC
26 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list