From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: "James H. Cloos Jr." <cloos@×××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Licensing pitfalls with net-www/mozilla-firefox
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 23:18:58
1 On Thu, 2004-03-18 at 12:45, James H. Cloos Jr. wrote:
2 > >>>>> "Luke" == Luke-Jr <luke7jr@×××××.com> writes:
3 >
4 > Luke> Have the Mozilla people been contacted? They could probably
5 > Luke> grant special permission for certain patches or perhaps even a
6 > Luke> blanket "ok" that covers most patches the ebuilds might use...
7 >
8 > I read through most of the thread on debian-legal. There they
9 > (the mozilla foundation) started out saying they wanted a list
10 > of the patches applied and would 'probably be able to approve'
11 > them.... Obviously that didn't fly, but I didn't see a final
12 > resolution to the problem there.
13 >
14 > The alternative is to call it something else and use gentoo-
15 > specific artwork.
16 >
17 > Note that this also applies to the mail client (was it thunderbird?)
18 > and the artwork that is part of mozilla.
19 >
20 > One hopes they come to a reasonable compromize that will work for the
21 > dists, since I'm sure every dist includes patches.
22
23 I'm just curious, but wouldn't this only possibly affect the *-bin
24 ebuilds for mozilla/firefox/thunderbird? If so, is it even really an
25 issue, since we provide the original binary distribution from mozilla?
26
27 I know that we would need to look into this for GRP, but for the regular
28 distribution, it seems to be a moot point. Am I just wrong here? Can
29 we simply start providing mozilla-bin in GRP rather than mozilla?
32 Chris Gianelloni
33 Developer, Gentoo Linux
34 Games Team
35