From: Karl Trygve Kalleberg <karltk@g.o>
To: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Licensing pitfalls with net-www/mozilla-firefox
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 09:39:20
1 On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 06:18:58PM -0500, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2
3 > I'm just curious, but wouldn't this only possibly affect the *-bin
4 > ebuilds for mozilla/firefox/thunderbird? If so, is it even really an
5 > issue, since we provide the original binary distribution from mozilla?
6
7 Yes, it only affects binary redistributions of mozilla stuff, and yes, our
8 *-bins are safe, since they're unmodified.
9
10 > I know that we would need to look into this for GRP, but for the regular
11 > distribution, it seems to be a moot point. Am I just wrong here? Can
12 > we simply start providing mozilla-bin in GRP rather than mozilla?
13
14 The GRP includes our binary redistribution of the mozilla stuff, and is
15 modified (if only with arch-specific patches), so it requires a stamp
16 of approval.
19 However, one of the main selling points (or "giving away points") of Gentoo
20 is that you can use it, for instance in combination with catalyst, to build
21 your very own binary distro.
22
23 Looking strictly at the mozilla licensing scheme, it means *every* user of
24 catalyst that builds a mozilla project with trademarked logos needs to
25 obtain their own stamp of approval before redistributing their binaries.
26
27 This hampers easy deployment of a catalysted Gentoo on any organisation;
28 people are not even allowed to build livecds that they copy to their
29 neighbour, strictly speaking.
32 One very appealing alternative is making our own artwork, and renaming the
33 package to direfox or something (or firef*x, but * is very problematic in
34 filenames), to avoid this nuisance.
35
36 Another, would be for the mozilla organisation to have a completely
37 open-sourced version, in addition to their own restricted version.
40 Kind regards,
41
42 Karl T
45 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list