From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: Karl Trygve Kalleberg <karltk@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Licensing pitfalls with net-www/mozilla-firefox
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 20:37:35
1 On Fri, 2004-03-19 at 04:39, Karl Trygve Kalleberg wrote:
2 > On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 06:18:58PM -0500, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
3 >
4 > > I'm just curious, but wouldn't this only possibly affect the *-bin
5 > > ebuilds for mozilla/firefox/thunderbird? If so, is it even really an
6 > > issue, since we provide the original binary distribution from mozilla?
7 >
8 > Yes, it only affects binary redistributions of mozilla stuff, and yes, our
9 > *-bins are safe, since they're unmodified.
10 >
11 > > I know that we would need to look into this for GRP, but for the regular
12 > > distribution, it seems to be a moot point. Am I just wrong here? Can
13 > > we simply start providing mozilla-bin in GRP rather than mozilla?
14 >
15 > The GRP includes our binary redistribution of the mozilla stuff, and is
16 > modified (if only with arch-specific patches), so it requires a stamp
17 > of approval.
18
19 I think I was saying that we could instead provide the *-bins in GRP,
20 rather than our patched up ones, but then I realized that we might not
21 have nearly as many *-bins available as we have supported arches, so I
22 can see the problem here already.
23
24 > However, one of the main selling points (or "giving away points") of Gentoo
25 > is that you can use it, for instance in combination with catalyst, to build
26 > your very own binary distro.
27 >
28 > Looking strictly at the mozilla licensing scheme, it means *every* user of
29 > catalyst that builds a mozilla project with trademarked logos needs to
30 > obtain their own stamp of approval before redistributing their binaries.
31 >
32 > This hampers easy deployment of a catalysted Gentoo on any organisation;
33 > people are not even allowed to build livecds that they copy to their
34 > neighbour, strictly speaking.
37 > One very appealing alternative is making our own artwork, and renaming the
38 > package to direfox or something (or firef*x, but * is very problematic in
39 > filenames), to avoid this nuisance.
40 >
41 > Another, would be for the mozilla organisation to have a completely
42 > open-sourced version, in addition to their own restricted version.
43
44 ...or simply allowing redistribution of their artwork provided it is
45 distributed with their packages would meet the need, I think. I would
46 love to see a non-restricted set of mozilla packages, though.
47
48 Unfortunately, this is starting to become a very unwelcome trend in the
49 open source world with some very large and important packages. No good
50 can come from this. ;]
53 Chris Gianelloni
54 Developer, Gentoo Linux
55 Games Team