From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The problem of unmaintained packages in Gentoo
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2017 23:58:37
1 On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 06:33:21PM -0500, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > On 12/20/2017 02:41 PM, Virgil Dupras wrote:
3 > >
4 > > Maybe some kind of official overlay for packages needing love? We
5 > > could send outdated packages there to die or to be born again if the
6 > > right person picks it up.
7 > >
8 > > The overlay could have more relaxed rules (not malicious and looking
9 > > good? no need to test this, merge!) for PR merging. If the package
10 > > degrades through bad PRs, fine, let's let it die. If it improves,
11 > > good, it can be born again.
12 > >
13 > > ...
14 > >
15 > > (my apologies if this idea is not new, I haven't been following the
16 > > ML for very long.)
17 >
18 > It's not a bad idea, but personally I'd like to see it as a third level
19 > of stability in the tree for users to opt into with ACCEPT_KEYWORDS.
20
21 There already is an overlay for dying packages, it is called graveyard,
22 but no one is putting things there.
23
24 This email conflates old dying packages with new versions, which are a
25 completely separate issue.
26
27 If a new version of a package is known to cause wide scale breakage, it
28 goes in package.mask until the breakage is resolved. Otherwise, putting
29 it in ~ is fine. I don't see the need for another level of keywords.
30
31 William