From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The problem of unmaintained packages in Gentoo
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2017 00:12:54
1 On 12/20/2017 06:58 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
2 >
3 > There already is an overlay for dying packages, it is called graveyard,
4 > but no one is putting things there.
5 >
6 > This email conflates old dying packages with new versions, which are a
7 > completely separate issue.
10 Lack of new versions *is* dying. But I can make a package not-dying in a
11 few seconds by merging a PR, so long as you don't expect me to do the
12 (relatively high) level of QA required for ~arch.
15 > If a new version of a package is known to cause wide scale breakage, it
16 > goes in package.mask until the breakage is resolved. Otherwise, putting
17 > it in ~ is fine. I don't see the need for another level of keywords.
18
19 The quality of ~arch is its own worst enemy; these days, stable packages
20 are just old ~arch packages. Users and developers expect ~arch to work,
21 and we have no real policy or documentation stating that it won't. Many
22 people will tell you that ~arch works better than stable, because it
23 gets fixed faster.
24
25 The new level of keyword would avoid screwing all of those ~arch users
26 at once, by not suddenly murdering the quality of their tree. From the
27 outset, the new level of keyword would have to have a description like
28 "only use this if you are stupid" to fulfill its intended role.