From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The problem of unmaintained packages in Gentoo
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2017 00:35:40
1 On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 07:12:45PM -0500, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > On 12/20/2017 06:58 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
3 > >
4 > > There already is an overlay for dying packages, it is called graveyard,
5 > > but no one is putting things there.
6 > >
7 > > This email conflates old dying packages with new versions, which are a
8 > > completely separate issue.
11 > Lack of new versions *is* dying. But I can make a package not-dying in a
12 > few seconds by merging a PR, so long as you don't expect me to do the
13 > (relatively high) level of QA required for ~arch.
16 > > If a new version of a package is known to cause wide scale breakage, it
17 > > goes in package.mask until the breakage is resolved. Otherwise, putting
18 > > it in ~ is fine. I don't see the need for another level of keywords.
19 >
20 > The quality of ~arch is its own worst enemy; these days, stable packages
21 > are just old ~arch packages. Users and developers expect ~arch to work,
22 > and we have no real policy or documentation stating that it won't. Many
23 > people will tell you that ~arch works better than stable, because it
24 > gets fixed faster.
25
26 ~arch *will* have breakages from time to time, sometimes major
27 breakages, until they are masked or fixed. We are not supposed to leave
28 major breakages there, but ~arch is definitely not for the faint of
29 heart. If you are using ~arch, you are expected to be a power user at
30 leasst and be able to recover if your system breaks. Production servers
31 should not be running ~arch at all. That's the whole reason ~arch
32 exists.
33
34 Yes, ~arch gets fixed faster than stable, but that is to be expected.
35 However, it is definitely not a good reason to put your production system on
36 full ~arch.
37
38 So, I guess this means that the quality of the ~arch tree is supposed to
39 be somewhat lower than the quality of the stable tree.
40
41 William