From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] tentative x86 arch team glep
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2005 08:59:35
1 On Sun, 2005-09-04 at 23:19 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 22:43:20 +0100 Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
3 > wrote:
4 > | > The only reason certain arch teams are considered a bottleneck is
5 > | > because they do real testing. As opposed to x86 or ppc, where
6 > | > packages which won't even unpack get marked stable...
7 > |
8 > | You can't help yourself, can you? You have to have a pop at
9 > | someone :(
10 >
11 > It's the truth, it's a problem and it needs fixing.
14 And I am sure everybody know why it was not a problem before, but is
15 now. You have you wish, we are working on it, and you had your chance
16 at trolling, but for the love of all, stop it if its not something
17 constructive that needs adding.
18
19 > | It's impossible for an arch team to keep pace with the rate of change
20 > | in the tree and do adequate testing too. No arch team is currently
21 > | big enough. Arch teams are always going to lag behind what package
22 > | maintainers do. It's a simple numbers game.
23 > |
24 > | There are only two arch teams with 20 or more members (amd64 and ppc),
25 > | as of 22:30 BST today. They have to deal with the output of approx
26 > | 155 herds, plus countless changes that don't go through herds in the
27 > | first place. The numbers speak for themselves. Arch teams are
28 > | bottlenecks. Until the numbers change, that won't change.
29 >
30 > You want numbers?
31 >
32 > A total of 31 ebuilds seems outdated on sparc
33 > A total of 72 ebuilds seems outdated on x86
34 >
35 > A total of 3634 packages are keyworded on sparc
36 > A total of 7793 packages are keyworded on x86
37 >
38 > Real numbers. Not guesswork based upon misconceptions.
41 Which is about two times more outdated packages on x86 than sparc, and
42 with the amount keyworded on x86 being about twice that of sparc, it
43 really seems to me like the ratio is fairly the same, and both are in
44 the same boat with regards to whatever the numbers had to prove?
48 Martin Schlemmer