From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage dependency solving algorithm
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2014 21:41:13
1 On 11/07/2014 01:04 PM, hasufell wrote:
2 > Next thing that comes to my mind is: indeterministic results. I'v had
3 > LOTS of them with portage. You run an emerge, abort. You run it again...
4 > and woosh, different result.
5
6 This is a result of the solution space being quite large, combined with
7 hash randomization (and possibly some other forms of randomization). You
8 will probably notice this sort of randomization more for failed
9 dependency calculations than for successful dependency calculations.
10 Successful dependency calculations will almost always result in
11 reproducible results.
12 --
13 Thanks,
14 Zac