From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage dependency solving algorithm
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2014 21:05:17
1 On 11/07/2014 09:55 PM, Jauhien Piatlicki wrote:
2 > 07.11.14 21:44, hasufell написав(ла):
3 >> On 11/07/2014 08:56 PM, Jauhien Piatlicki wrote:
4 >>
5 >> Every time people compare portage to paludis I read stuff like "but
6 >> paludis is slower". That is incomplete information to put it diplomatic.
7 >>
8 >> Do you really care so much about speed that you don't mind wrong results?
11 > My original question was about Portage being too slow. And Paludis came out just as an alternative.
12 >
13 > And I would like to see a detailed discussion about what's wrong from the point of view of correctness with:
14 >
15 > 1. PMS
16 >
17 > 2. ebuilds in tree
18 >
19 > 3. Portage dependency solving
20 >
21 > Was this discussed somewhere? Could you point me there?
24 The first thing that comes to my mind is dynamic dependencies. They are
25 wrong and that has been discussed recently on this ML.
26
27 If you have ever switched from portage to paludis on a full-grown
28 system, then you know how much bad data and missing
29 updates/blockers/dependencies are hidden.
30
31 However, it seems that this issue is being addressed by the portage
32 team, afair.
33
34 Next thing that comes to my mind is: indeterministic results. I'v had
35 LOTS of them with portage. You run an emerge, abort. You run it again...
36 and woosh, different result.
37 I'v not hit that case yet with paludis, unless I ran it with different
38 configuration options.