From: Stuart Longland <stuartl@××××××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Cutting down on non-cascaded profiles
Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 07:05:29
1 Jan Kundrát wrote:
2 > Stuart Longland wrote:
3 >
4 >>Anyway, wouldn't security updates include the core system, rather than
5 >>just things like Apache?
8 > Security updates are updates which are fixing *security* problems.
9 > Upgrading glibc is not a security update, IMHO :-).
12 Yep... 100% agree... but {g,µC,diet,bsd,whatever}libc is not immune to
13 security issues. :-) It's a piece of code which can contain exploitable
14 defects like everything else. In fact, this makes things worse, as it's
15 a piece of code that's linked into just about every application on the
16 system.
17
18 Having said that... sometimes there's a lot to be said for the "if it
19 ain't broke -- don't fix it" attitude. ;-) Not to mention, security
20 through obsolecence -- which you see in action whenever you see a
21 website running on Linux 2.x (where x < 4) or Windows NT 4.0.
22
23 If it's seriously a problem... make a copy of the profile whilst it
24 still exists, and delete the 'deprecated' file you see in there -- that
25 will stop Portage from complaining. Mind you... no guarantees that this
26 won't break your system either. (whether it should break now, or 6
27 months down the track -- is irrelevant)
31 | Stuart Longland -oOo- http://stuartl.longlandclan.hopto.org |
32 | Atomic Linux Project -oOo- http://atomicl.berlios.de |
34 | I haven't lost my mind - it's backed up on a tape somewhere |