From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Adding CPUFLAGS USE_EXPAND variable to the profiles
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 15:54:06
1 On Fri, 2006-07-07 at 16:59 +0200, Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò wrote:
2 > So the question is: why they aren't useflags in the first place? There has to
3 > be a reason, or it would just be that up to now we did the same thing in
4 > different ways just because of it.
5
6 Most likely.
7
8 Have you ever looked at the profiles, even the default-linux profiles
9 for a given release? They're all over the place, doing things
10 differently in lots of ways. Something that I have been working on
11 since taking over Release Engineering is trying to make things closer to
12 being the same. We all know that there will never be a way to have
13 things identical, but we're working to make them as similar as possible.
14 However, I can tell you that there are definitely *tons* of examples of
15 things being done all kinds of crazy ways by different teams.
18 Chris Gianelloni
19 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
20 x86 Architecture Team
21 Games - Developer