From: Stuart Herbert <stuart.herbert@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: GLEP 19: Gentoo Stable Portage Tree -- ideas
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 00:28:26
1 Hi,
2
3 On 1/6/06, Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o> wrote:
4 > Absolutely true. That said, there's relatively little resistance to the
5 > concept of Enterprise Gentoo, as far as I know. There is substantial
6 > resistance to anything that might add additional work to
7 > already-overwhelmed package maintainers, however, and I believe that
8 > the lack of an acceptable solution there is what stalled things the last
9 > time around.
10
11 I can only speak for myself, but I believe that the "enterprise"
12 project hasn't discovered either a winning strategy or a sustainable
13 one so far.
14
15 I'd like to see the "Enterprise" project put forward a clear value
16 proposition, and clearly demonstrate both how it will deliver that
17 value and how it will sustain the offering. I'd like to see it
18 identify all of the required enablers, and how they will be delivered.
19 I'd like to see it demonstrate an understanding of where this work
20 will fit well with what already happens in Gentoo, and where this work
21 is at odds with the existing Gentoo project.
22
23 These are all questions that I don't think GLEP 19 adequately
24 addresses as I read it today.
25
26 I guess that I'm asking for something that would fall somewhere
27 between a funding pitch and a full-blown business plan. At the very
28 least, something that you could reasonably preset to a company board.
29 What I feel I've been seeing so far is low-level technical planning,
30 and most of the discussion seems to be focused only at this level. (I
31 know I'm not going to get it, but what's the harm in asking? :)
32
33 Although I admit to having concerns about whether this project can be
34 delivered by a volunteer workforce - and this workforce in particular
35 - I can't form a strong position on this, because I don't really
36 understand what this project is trying to achieve yet. I can't help
37 but feel that what we've got at the moment is a solution-driven
38 project, instead of one that's benefit-driven.
39
40 An "enterprise" offering worthy of the name is to make a promise that
41 goes a long way beyond what Gentoo offers today (although, alas,
42 nowhere near as far as I wish the term "enterprise" meant). Mark
43 Shuttleworth can guarantee that promise for Ubuntu from the loose
44 change in his pockets. How are we doing to guarantee that promise?
45
46 And if we're not, could we stop using the "enterprise" word in
47 relation to this project, to ensure that casual observers don't get
48 the wrong idea? :)
49
50 Best regards,
51 Stu