From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: GLEP 19: Gentoo Stable Portage Tree -- ideas
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 16:52:21
1 Lance Albertson wrote: [Fri Jan 06 2006, 09:27:23AM CST]
2 > As seen from the discussion earlier this week, I don't think Gentoo has
3 > the proper open-mindness to create a proper enterprise distro. There are
4 > too many things that would get in the way of Gentoo proper to make it
5 > work right. I agree with Duncan that the best route is an outside
6 > project so that they don't have the constraints of Gentoo proper. Trying
7 > to inflict the ideals of an enterprise distro into Gentoo right now will
8 > be an uphill battle the whole way. Just look at all the comments made
9 > from my thread earlier. You cannot make an enterprise distro without
10 > focus or direction and a leader. You'll be stuck in committee decisions
11 > all the time.
12
13 I understand that you are naturally disheartened that the discussion you
14 started did not end as you would have liked. Fair enough, but I think
15 you should also take another look at that body of responses. Many were,
16 indeed, sulky "I don't wanna leader" comments, but there were also a
17 number of well-written, cogently-argued replies both in favor of and
18 opposed to what you wrote. All in all, I would say that the discussion
19 you started was a net "win" for Gentoo. (Of course, I also happen to
20 disagree with your premise, so I'm biased, but I hope that I'm
21 open-minded enough that I would feel the same if the results had gone
22 the other way.) Indeed, I suggest that this reasonably well-behaved
23 discussion indicates that the Gentoo community is rather open-minded
24 itself.
25
26 Addressing your point about Enterprise Gentoo, I think you're probably
27 right about it needing focus, direction, and a leader, but that's quite
28 different from needing Gentoo as a whole to have any of those. The
29 Gentoo *BSD work is a good example of how much can be done by a team
30
31 > Not saying its impossible, but it won't be easy.
32
33 Absolutely true. That said, there's relatively little resistance to the
34 concept of Enterprise Gentoo, as far as I know. There is substantial
35 resistance to anything that might add additional work to
36 already-overwhelmed package maintainers, however, and I believe that
37 the lack of an acceptable solution there is what stalled things the last
38 time around.
39
40 -g2boojum-
41 --
42 Grant Goodyear
43 Gentoo Developer
44 g2boojum@g.o
45 http://www.gentoo.org/~g2boojum
46 GPG Fingerprint: D706 9802 1663 DEF5 81B0 9573 A6DC 7152 E0F6 5B76