From: Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: GLEP 19: Gentoo Stable Portage Tree -- ideas
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 15:34:28
1 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2006-01-06 at 02:36 -0700, Duncan wrote:
3 >
4 >>OTOH, it's entirely possible a Gentoo /based/ enterprise distribution may
5 >>emerge at some point. IMO, however, there's enough conflict with what
6 >>makes Gentoo great at what it does today, that such efforts should be
7 >>separate from Gentoo itself.
10 > I don't disagree with you entirely, but there's nothing stopping us from
11 > *also* producing a "Gentoo Enterprise Linux" distribution.
12 >
13 > Like I said, I'll post my proposal, modified to fit the times, of
14 > course, as soon as I get a chance (it'll take a while to write back up).
15
16 As seen from the discussion earlier this week, I don't think Gentoo has
17 the proper open-mindness to create a proper enterprise distro. There are
18 too many things that would get in the way of Gentoo proper to make it
19 work right. I agree with Duncan that the best route is an outside
20 project so that they don't have the constraints of Gentoo proper. Trying
21 to inflict the ideals of an enterprise distro into Gentoo right now will
22 be an uphill battle the whole way. Just look at all the comments made
23 from my thread earlier. You cannot make an enterprise distro without
24 focus or direction and a leader. You'll be stuck in committee decisions
25 all the time.
26
27 Not saying its impossible, but it won't be easy.
30 Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
31 Gentoo Infrastructure | Operations Manager
32
33 ---
34 GPG Public Key: <http://www.ramereth.net/lance.asc>
35 Key fingerprint: 0423 92F3 544A 1282 5AB1 4D07 416F A15D 27F4 B742
36
37 ramereth/irc.freenode.net