From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: GLEP 19: Gentoo Stable Portage Tree -- ideas
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 19:04:32
1 On Fri, 2006-01-06 at 09:27 -0600, Lance Albertson wrote:
2 > Chris Gianelloni wrote:
3 > > On Fri, 2006-01-06 at 02:36 -0700, Duncan wrote:
4 > >
5 > >>OTOH, it's entirely possible a Gentoo /based/ enterprise distribution may
6 > >>emerge at some point. IMO, however, there's enough conflict with what
7 > >>makes Gentoo great at what it does today, that such efforts should be
8 > >>separate from Gentoo itself.
11 > > I don't disagree with you entirely, but there's nothing stopping us from
12 > > *also* producing a "Gentoo Enterprise Linux" distribution.
13 > >
14 > > Like I said, I'll post my proposal, modified to fit the times, of
15 > > course, as soon as I get a chance (it'll take a while to write back up).
16 >
17 > As seen from the discussion earlier this week, I don't think Gentoo has
18 > the proper open-mindness to create a proper enterprise distro. There are
19 > too many things that would get in the way of Gentoo proper to make it
20 > work right. I agree with Duncan that the best route is an outside
21 > project so that they don't have the constraints of Gentoo proper. Trying
22 > to inflict the ideals of an enterprise distro into Gentoo right now will
23 > be an uphill battle the whole way. Just look at all the comments made
24 > from my thread earlier. You cannot make an enterprise distro without
25 > focus or direction and a leader. You'll be stuck in committee decisions
26 > all the time.
27
28 I agree with you. My point was that it could be done, still. Let me
29 get my proposal sent out and we'll see what people think. More than
30 likely, it'll be something along the lines of "great idea, now where do
31 we find the time/money/people/goats to do it" but we can always hope.
32
33 > Not saying its impossible, but it won't be easy.
34
35 Hopefully my proposal gives enough of a split to allow for a separate
36 "Enterprise" solution without alienating the current developers,
37 dramatically increasing their workload, or changing what Gentoo
38 currently is and isn't...
41 Chris Gianelloni
42 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
43 x86 Architecture Team